Royal Oak High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Royal Oak High School|
|1500 Lexington Boulevard
Royal Oak, Michigan, 48073
|School district||Royal Oak Neighborhood Schools|
|Color(s)||Black, Silver, and Royal Blue|
|Mascot||Rocky the Raven|
Royal Oak High School (ROHS) is a secondary educational facility located in Royal Oak, Michigan in Greater Detroit and has approximately 1,300 students. The current principal is Mike Van-Camp.  It is a part of Royal Oak Neighborhood Schools.
This educational facility draws its name from the original Royal Oak High School (later Clara Barton Junior High), opened in 1913, and its successor, the "new" Royal Oak High School, opened in 1927. After the opening of a second high school facility within the Royal Oak school system in 1957, the then "Royal Oak High School" was forced to change its name to "George A. Dondero High School". Its counterpart was named "Clarence M. Kimball High School".
At their peak, both institutions had enrollment of over 2,000 students. But declining enrollment throughout the district forced the closure of Dondero High School in 2006, and the student populations of the two schools were merged into one facility. Kimball High School became the site of the new merged school. Extensive renovations were made to accommodate the surge of students, after which the high school was renamed Royal Oak High School. The name change was made not only to signal a new beginning for the city, but also to quell growing concerns that old school rivalries would prompt hallway tensions and division among students.
There have been two student news publications at Royal Oak High School: The Herald and The Acorn.
The Herald, which originated from Kimball High School ("Knights"), featured school-centered news and updates. The Herald was discontinued due to lack of funding, leaving The Acorn as the sole news source for the school since 2011. The Acorn is a news magazine - originally from Dondero High School's "Oaks" publication - that reports on more widespread affairs to increase student global awareness. The Acorn is a recipient of Michigan Interscholastic Press Association (MIPA) awards.
Noesis is the student creative arts magazine, providing a forum for student artists to publish their work. Royal Oak High School's PTSA publishes a bimonthly bulletin called "The Raven's Call".
Royal Oak High School also has a media class that broadcasts on public access, WOAK, and on the school closed circuit feed. School announcements and short student videos are featured on a student news program titled "The Raven Report", and broadcast to all classrooms over the Internet. In May 2012, the Advanced TV/Video production class was the grand prize winner of the national Drive One 4UR Schools video contest put on by Ford Motor Company.
Royal Oak High School Band and Orchestra Program
The Royal Oak High School Band and Orchestra Program features a marching band, concert band, symphony band, jazz band, wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, concert orchestra, symphony orchestra, fiddle club, and several smaller ensembles. With Dave Jensen as director, this program, especially the wind ensemble, has risen to one of the top in the state in the past few years. Continued, Jensen has done this through a school with a sub-par auditorium that's 50 years old, and has been lacking since the funding as gone to other school improvements.
- Debra Evans - writer
- Chris Gore - writer
- Thomas O. Jones - businessman
- Don Kissick - Ohio politician
- Royal Oak High School | Royal Oak Schools
- Royal Oak High School | Royal Oak Schools
- "Dates in Royal Oak Schools History". Royal Oak History. Royal Oak Historical Society. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Eminem shoots video in Royal Oak school". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Ep. 112". If You Really Knew Me. MTV. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "MTV: If You Really Knew Me". Challenge Day. Challenge Day. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "DATABASE: Check your school's 2011 MEAP score". Detroit News. 2012-02-20. Retrieved 14:50, Monday February 20, 2012 (UTC).
- "ROHS Acorn Newsmagazine Receives Spartan Award". Royal Oak High School News. Royal Oak Schools. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "ROHS Non-Club Groups 2012-2013". ROHS Clubs & Groups. Royal Oak Schools.
- "The Raven's Call". The Raven's Call. Royal Oak PTSA. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "WOAK". Royal Oak Schools. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "WOAK Videos on Demand Specials". Royal Oak Schools. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- Royal Oak High School
- Royal Oak High School PTSA
- Royal Oak High School Transition Team[dead link]
- Royal Oak High School Athletic calendar
- Royal Oak High School Hockey Team