Royal Style and Titles Act
In the Commonwealth realms, a Royal Style and Titles Act is passed in order to declare the Sovereign's formal title.
The most significant of these Acts is the Royal and Parliamentary Titles Act 1927, which was passed in the United Kingdom in recognition of the creation of the Irish Free State, a development that necessitated a change in King George V's title.
The 1927 Act was amended by:
- the India Independence Act (10 & 11 Geo. 6. c. 30) and Order in Council Approving Proclamation Altering the Style and Titles Appertaining to the Crown by Omitting the Words "Emperor of India" on 22 June 1948. Because of this change the King's title in the English language became:
George VI by the Grace of God of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas King, Defender of the Faith
- United Kingdom Royal Titles Act 1953 s:Royal Titles Act 1953: An Act to provide for an alteration of the Royal Style and Titles. 1 & 2 Eliz. 2 c. 9 [26 March 1953]. Pursuant to this Act, the Sovereign's title became:
Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith
In December 1952 the governments of Queen Elizabeth II agreed that each of her realms would adopt its own titles; the British Act of Parliament clearly stated that it applied only to the United Kingdom and those overseas territories whose foreign relations were controlled by the UK government. For Britain, the act also tidied up use of the title of King of Ireland, following Ireland's declaration as a republic in 1949. Henceforth, Elizabeth would be known in the UK as Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland rather than of Great Britain and Ireland separately.[not in citation given]
- Style of the British sovereign
- List of titles and honours of Queen Elizabeth II
- Royal Titles Act 1876 UK
- Royal Titles Act 1974 NZ
- 1953 An Act to provide for an alteration of the Royal Style and Titles. 1 & 2 Eliz. 2 c. 9
- Royal Titles Act 1953, c 9 (United Kingdom)
- An Act Relating to the Royal Style and Titles 1953 (Australia)
- Royal Style and Titles Act 1973 (Australia) from ComLaw. Retrieved 2011-07-23.
- Royal Style and Titles Act 1973 (South Australia)
- An Act respecting the Royal Style and Titles 1953 (Canada)
- Royal Style and Titles Act 1985 (Canada)