|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006)|
Royapettah clock tower
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Royapettah is a centrally located neighbourhood in the city of Chennai, India. It is situated to the west of the famous Marina Beach of Chennai. The locality features one of the developed commercial centres. And also the political party DMK Head Dr. Karunanidhi's House is located in Gopalapuram. The Present Chief Minister (2012) of the state of Tamil Nadu, India, Ms. Jayalalithaa Jayaram is located in Poes Garden, 1 km from Royapettah. Royapettah has been most busy road, since it is surrounded by the Govt. Hospital and Express Avenue Mall.
The locality houses Goudiya Math, an imposing temple structure. Some other locations in the vicinity of Royapetah include Parthasarathy Temple and Amir Mahal of Nawab of Arcot. Both of these attractions are housed in the adjacent Triplicane suburbs, at a walking distance from Royapettah.
Due to the close proximity of Royapettah to the city center, the place witnesses a great lot of activities, mostly commercial, making the entire region one of the busiest places in the city. The township is a flourishing trade and commerce centre. The place features great many establishments encompassing educational institutes, hospitals, business houses, hotels and hospitals. Some reputed educational institutes located in the Royapettah include Queen Mary's College, Lady Willington Training College, Vivekananda College.
The All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) headquarters is also located in Royapettah.
Royapettah Government Hospital
In 2011, as part of its centenary celebration, the Government Hospital here has obtained funds from the Central Government to construct two additional floors in its Accident and Trauma Block. A sum of 43.5 million has been sanctioned for construction of the two floors. There is also a proposal for setting up a "Zero Delay Ward" in the hospital. The state government has funded the 10 million work at the new surgical block while the casualty ward is already under renovation.
- Royapettah is situated towards the south of the Chennai city center. The distance between Royapetah and city center is a little more than 2 km.
- The Light House Railway Station serves as the regional railway station for Royapetah. The station is located close to the Kamaraj Salai road in the east.
- Chennai Airport grounded at Meenambakkam provides accessibility via airways. The airport is located some 10 km away and towards the south west of Royapetah.
- Chennai Central Railway Station, the premium railway station in Chennai, is less than 4 km from Royapettah.
Areas under Royapettah
- Balaji Nagar
- V.M. Street
- Muthu Street
- Halls Garden
- Nallana Mudali Street
- Kasim Street
- Hussain Ali Khan street
- Spencer Plaza is in Anna Salai which is 2kms from royapettah
- Express Avenue (EA) is in royapettah
- Chennai Citi Centre is in Mylapore which is 3kms from royapettah.
Ponnuswamy, Copper Chimney, China Town, The Bayleaf, Gangotree, Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Hot Breads, Baskin Robbins, Cafe Coffee Day, Zaitoon, zaara, Fillin
Parthasarathy Temple, Srinivasa Perumal Temple, Gaudiya Mutt, Music Academy, Masjid-e-Rasool-Arabi Sallahu alahiwasalam(Jamia masjid), Famous Islamic Sufi saint Hazrat Syed Umar Aamir Kaleemi shah(blessings upon him) Spritual house(Khankha-e-Aamiria).He is founder of Silsila-e-Aamiria.
Astana-e-Hussainya (formerly known as Chota Naksha), Thousand Lights Mosque, Vivekananda House, Big Mosque, Mylapore Kappaleswarar Temple, C.S.I Wesley Church, I.R.G.C.(Islamic Research And Guidance Center),
- The New College, Chennai
- Meston college of Education, Chennai
Adarsh Vidyalaya, Sree Venkateshwarar Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Adarsh Vidyalaya Branch School, Cambridge Matriculation Higher Secondary School, DAV Boys' Senior Secondary School Gopalapuram, DAV Girls' Senior Secondary School, Gopalapuram, DAV Higher Secondary School Gopalapuram, Gill Adarsh Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sacred Heart Matriculation Higher Secondary School Church Park, Smt Malathi Srinivasan Mat Hr Sec School, St. Williams high school, The Hindu higher sec. School, The Hindu senior sec. School, S V M School, Wesley Higher Secondary School, Emma Foulger Matriculation School, Little Flower English Medium School.
- Sujatha, R. (25 September 2011). "Royapettah Hospital to be upgraded". The Hindu (in Tamil) (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 28 Apr 2013.