Ring with the Braves in 2008.
|Long Island Ducks|
December 21, 1980 |
La Mesa, California
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|April 29, 2005 for the New York Mets|
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||5.29|
Ring graduated from Monte Vista High School (Spring Valley, California) and attended San Diego State University where he was a star closer.
Chicago White Sox
New York Mets
In 2003, Ring was acquired by the Mets with Edwin Almonte and Andrew Salvo in the trade that sent Roberto Alomar and cash to the White Sox. Ring's performance suffered in the 2004 season and, for a time, he was no longer considered a top prospect. This was evidenced by the fact that the Mets left him unprotected in the Rule V Draft. Part of Ring's problem was his nonchalant attitude about physical fitness, as he gained body fat during his career downturn.
However, after a surprisingly strong spring training and minor league showing in 2005, Ring was added to the Mets' Major League roster and made his Major League debut on April 29 against the Washington Nationals. He posted a disappointing 5.06 ERA before being demoted to the minor leagues later in the season. He was recalled to the big leagues on August 2, 2006, but was sent back to Triple-A Norfolk three weeks later to make room on the 25-man roster for newly acquired Shawn Green.
San Diego Padres
On July 31, 2007, Ring was traded to the Atlanta Braves for Wilfredo Ledezma and pitching prospect Will Startup, and then was optioned to the Triple-A Richmond Braves. He was called up when the rosters expanded on September 1. In 2008, Ring had a 8.46 ERA and was designated for assignment in August 2008. He cleared waivers and was assigned to Triple-A Richmond. He became a free agent at the end of the season.
St. Louis Cardinals
On January 5, 2009, Ring signed a one-year deal with the St. Louis Cardinals. However, he was placed on outright waivers on March 25, and accepted a Triple-A assignment to the Memphis Redbirds.
New York Yankees
On January 12, 2010, Ring signed a minor league contract with an invite to spring training with the New York Yankees. Though he impressed the Yankees in spring training, he was optioned to the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees.
Following the completion of the Triple-A season, the Yankees purchased Ring's contract and promoted him to the major leagues.
On December 14, 2010, Ring signed a minor league contract for the 2011 season with the Seattle Mariners with an invitation to spring training. However, he did not make the Mariners out of spring training, and he was sent to the minors on March 27. He opted out of his contract on July 3.
Boston Red Sox
- "White Sox take lefty relief specialist | whitesox.com: News". Chicago.whitesox.mlb.com. 2002-06-04. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Mets recall LHP Royce Ring; Option RHP Mike Pelfrey to Norfolk | mets.com: Official Info" (Press release). Mlb.mlb.com. 2006-08-02. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com (2006-11-15). "Pads add Ring, Bell to Hell's Bells | padres.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- By Mark Bowman / MLB.com (2008-08-02). "Braves designate Ring for assignment | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Cardinals sign reliever Ring". kansascity.com. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2009-01-05.[dead link]
- By Matthew Leach / MLB.com (2009-03-25). "Ring's stint with Cardinals finished | cardinals.com: News". Stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- By Matthew Leach / MLB.com (2009-03-26). "Mozeliak lays out roster possibilities | cardinals.com: News". Stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com (2009-09-18). "Yanks sign Thames, make Winn official | yankees.com: News". Newyork.yankees.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com (2010-03-15). "Logan, Ring doing their best to impress | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Mariners sign four minor-league free agents, including outfielder Ryan Langerhans". The Seattle Times. 2010-12-14.
- Johns, Greg (2011-03-27). "Mariners make roster moves, option Tuiasosopo". Mariners.MLB.com. Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- Links, Zach. "Royce Ring Exercises Out Clause With Mariners". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben. "Minor Moves: Texeira, Ring, Padres". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)