Roydon railway station
|Local authority||Epping Forest|
|Managed by||Greater Anglia|
|Owned by||Network Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1844|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Roydon from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station layout is unusual in that the two platforms do not face each other but are on opposite sides of a level crossing.
The station was opened by the Northern and Eastern Railway in 1844. The main station building was abandoned by British Railways in 1978 and remained unoccupied until being converted into a restaurant. The main station building was given Grade II listed status on 30 April 1971.
The typical off-peak Monday-Saturday service is:
- 1 train per hour (tph) to London Liverpool Street, calling at Broxbourne, Cheshunt and Tottenham Hale, taking 32 minutes.
- 1 tph to Stratford, calling at Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Enfield Lock, Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale,taking 39 minutes.
- 1 tph to Stansted Airport, calling at Harlow Town, Harlow Mill, Sawbridgeworth, Bishops Stortford and Stansted Mountfitchet, taking 31 minutes.
(Passengers can also reach Stansted Airport by taking the Cambridge train and changing at Harlow Town.)
- 1 tph to Cambridge, calling at Harlow Town, Harlow Mill, Sawbridgeworth, Bishops Stortford, Stansted Mountfitchet, Elsenham, Newport (Essex), Audley End, Great Chesterford and Whittlesford Parkway, taking 54 minutes.
The typical Sunday service is:
- 1 tph to Stratford, calling at Broxbourne, Cheshunt, Waltham Cross, Enfield Lock, Brimsdown, Ponders End and Tottenham Hale, taking 42 minutes.
(Passengers can reach Liverpool Street by changing at Tottenham Hale.)
- 1 tph to Cambridge, calling at all stations as above until Whittlesford Parkway, then Shelford. This journey takes 56 minutes.
(Passengers can reach Stansted Airport by changing at Harlow Town.)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
West Anglia Main Line