|Territorial authority of New Zealand|
|Named for||Mount Ruapehu|
|• Mayor||Don Cameron|
|• Chief Executive||David Hammond|
|• Total||6,370.2 km2 (2,459.5 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||2,797 m (9,177 ft)|
|Population (June 2013 estimate)|
|• Density||2.0/km2 (5.3/sq mi)|
|Time zone||NZST (UTC+12)|
|• Summer (DST)||NZDT (UTC+13)|
|Area code(s)||07 (northern and central)
It has an area of 6,730.185 square kilometers and a population of 13,569 at the 2006 census (down 18.96% from 1996 census).
The tourist towns of Whakapapa, National Park and Ohakune are also located here.
Waiouru, with an elevation of 815 metres, is in the extreme east of the district and houses the large Waiouru Army Camp.
The crater lake of Mount Ruapehu was the immediate cause of the Tangiwai disaster, with the loss of 151 lives, when the Tangiwai railway bridge across the Whangaehu River collapsed. In 2007 the lake had again filled with water, which was released on Sunday 18 March.
Ruapehu District Council
Ruapehu District is made up of a Mayor, Councillors and Community Boards, or in the case of Taumarunui/Ohura, a Ward Committee.
The Mayor of the Ruapehu District is Don Cameron.
Taumarunui/Ohura ♮ Ward Committee; 6 members; 5 councillors from Taumarunui, and 1 Ohura Ward Councillors.
Waimarino-Waiouru Community Board; 6 members; 2 Ward Councillors (appointed); 4 elected community representatives.
National Park Community Board; 5 members; 1 Ward Councillor; 4 elected community representatives.
♮ To all intents and purposes, Council considers the Taumarunui/Ohura Ward Committee the community board for Taumarunui and Ohura Wards and has given it the same powers and functions as community boards. 
- "Subnational Population Estimates: At 30 June 2013 (provisional)". Statistics New Zealand. 22 October 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013. Also "Infoshare; Group: Population Estimates - DPE; Table: Estimated Resident Population for Urban Areas, at 30 June (1996+) (Annual-Jun)". Statistics New Zealand. 19 November 2013. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- Map of the District
- Ruapehu District Community Outcomes
- Ruapehu District Council homepage
- All 73 District's LTCCP 2006-2016
- Ruapehu Districts RTO 'Visit Ruapehu'