Rubi (TV series)
|Directed by||Erick C. Salud
Don M. Cuaresma
Manny Q. Palo
Darnel Joy R. Villaflor
Cherry Pie Picache
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, Tagalog, English|
|No. of episodes||128|
|Executive producer(s)||Eileen Angela Garcia|
|Picture format||NTSC 480i|
|Original run||February 15, 2010 – August 13, 2010|
Vivian gives birth to her daughter while she’s still in prison, thus, leaving her no other choice but to put the kid for adoption. Immediately after her release, she goes in search for the child. And to her surprise, she learns that her daughter is actually under the care of the child's biological father, Arturo and his new wife Sylvanna. Insistent to get her daughter back, Vivian relentlessly kidnaps her. And in line with her plan of starting a new life, she brings the kid far away to the city and she changes their names to Rosanna and her daughter's into Rubi. Vivian's possessive lover Danilo located them. Rubi escapes but became lost in the city. And in order to survive, she knocks on car windows to ask for alms. For months, she spent time alone in the busy streets. But fortunately, her time alone is immediately cut short by her unexpected reunion with her mother who has been searching for her all those times. On the other hand, since Sylvanna is still longing for their lost daughter, Theresa (now Rubi), she then decides to adopt a child named Maribel. But unfortunately for the poor child, she encounters a terrible car accident while driving with her foster father, thus, marking a permanent damage on her left leg.
Though they lack the cash, Rubi all grown up continuously lives in luxury. Apparently, her mother insistently spoils her with extravagance to make up for their uncalled for separation before. Rubi grew up to become a sexy young woman and she is not afraid to flaunt her looks. She has an ambition of marrying a wealthy man to get out of the slums that they live in and for her to finally afford all her luxuries. Even though she knows that she couldn’t practically afford it, Rosanna strives hard to send Rubi in a prestigious private school. On their way to inquire about admissions, Rubi accidentally comes across Maribel. She learns that Maribel has an inferiority complex because of her disability and upon realizing that the young lady is filthy rich, Rubi instantly decides to befriend the disabled young lady. Maribel invites Rubi over to her house so that she could meet her parents. And immediately, the charming young lady gains the couple’s favor. And since she had finally earned Maribel’s trust, Rubi gets a peep in her new friend’s life. Maribel gladly introduces Hector, her long-time chat-mate, to her. Aside from that, the young lady also discloses the fact that she is in fact an adopted daughter.
Things become more complicated
When Rubi set Maribel up on a date with Hector they immediately fell in love. Hector introduces his best friend Alejandro who soon falls in love with Rubi. After thinking Alejandro was rich, Rubi flirts with him and as time passes she develops feelings for him but when she discovered that Alejandro is not rich and is only a scholar, she breaks up with Alejandro and goes after Hector. The night before Hector and Maribel's wedding, Rubi gave herself to Hector. He then abandons Maribel at their wedding and marries Rubi instead. Upon realizing the truth, Alejandro and Maribel were left with each other. As time passed by, they slowly became attracted with each other. Alejandro in love with Maribel still harbors feelings for Rubi, which is the same with Rubi. Hector becomes insecure about his wife especially when she's with Alejandro. Rubi continues her scheming to get more money from Hector's family since she knows her husband is blindly in love with her and knows nothing about her secret plans. One of her plans backfire and her mother was killed. Instead of changing her ways because of the tragedy, Rubi is more determined than ever to get all that she wants. While Maribel is still dating Alejandro, she catches Rubi and Alejandro kissing. Maribel is devastated while Rubi is delighted by thinking Alejandro still loves her. Alejandro and Rubi meet one night and they have sex with each other. Maribel discovers this and decided to go away. Rubi soon becomes pregnant and questions the possibility that it could be Alejandro's baby instead of Hector's. Still unsure, Rubi tells Hector that the baby is his. Meanwhile, Alejandro goes to Maribel's house hoping that Maribel will forgive him, where he finds out that Maribel has left for Europe but still she came back because her love for Alejandro is still there and she doesn't want Rubi to see that she is affected of what happened. Hector finds the evidence of the one night Rubi and Alejandro made love and confronts Rubi upon her return home. They get into a heated argument and Rubi was abused by Hector. Hector punches her pregnant stomach and she had a miscarriage. After some tests, it was revealed that Hector killed his own baby. Because of this incident, Hector completely lost his mind.
After she recovered, Rubi tried to get back to Hector to talk to him. Little did she know that Hector was now deranged. Hector takes Rubi to their unfinished, would-be home still under construction and abuses her even more. Hector then calls Alejandro and pretends that he has become nice, but it was an act so he could kill him. Rubi tries to stop Hector but he accidentally pushes Rubi off the edge of the building. Rubi holds on for dear life while Alejandro arrives and he and Hector try to save her. Hector stumbles and falls to his death while Rubi falls down with him into the glass near the construction. Rubi is rushed to the hospital. She now realizes that she already had everything; her family, friends, the man that truly loved her, but she deemed it all worthless just for her blind ambitions. Rubi wakes up with a huge scar on her face and her right leg has been amputated. Because of a rare skin condition, the scar would not heal and it would remain permanent. The beauty she uses to deceive everyone is now gone. She finally learns her lesson and even with a heavy heart, she agrees to Maribel and Alejandro's marriage. She went back to the slums where she lives with her aunt. On the last scene, she talks to her mother's grave asking her that if she sees Hector in heaven, tell him that she actually loved him although she realized it too late. Rubi walks off using her crutches, saying she is now free, free to love without greed, without asking anything in return.
- Angelica Panganiban as Rubi Perez-Ferrer / Theresa Dela Fuente 
- Jake Cuenca as Alejandro Cardenas 
- Shaina Magdayao as Maribel Dela Fuente
- Diether Ocampo as Hector Ferrer
- Cherry Pie Picache as Vivian Rodrigo/Rosana Perez – Rubi's mother.(deceased)
- Cherie Gil as Sylvana Velasco-dela Fuente – Arturo's wife.
- Gardo Versoza as Arturo dela Fuente – Rubi's father.
- Allan Paule as Danilo Capili – a patrol officer
- Kaye Abad as Cristina Perez – Rosana's younger sister and Rubi's aunt.
- Susan Africa as Yaya Pancha – trusted friend and the housekeeper of the Dela Fuente family.
- Wowie De Guzman as Cayetano – the Dela Fuente family's driver.
- Coney Reyes as Elisa Ferrer – Hector's mother.
- Juan Rodrigo as Genaro Ferrer – Hector's father.
- Dante Rivero as Dr. Jose Bermudez – Hector's uncle who's a neurosurgeon.
- Bing Loyzaga as Carla Cardenas – Alejandro's mother.
- Rey "PJ" Abellana as Ignacio Cardenas – Alejandro's father
- Megan Young as Sophia Cardenas – Alejandro's younger sister.
- Mel Martinez as Lorreto Valiente – Rubi's fashion design teacher, and best friend.
- Eva Darren as Mameng – a storekeeper in Rubi's neighborhood
- Marvin Yap as Bibo – a vagrant in Rubi's neighborhood.
- Xian Lim as Luis N. Ferrer/Luis G. Navarro – Sophia's boyfriend and is Hector's half-brother with his father's mistress.
- Melissa Mendez as Elena Navarro – a woman Hector's father is having an affair with.
- James Blanco as Marco – another medical doctor intern and is Alejandro's friend in the hospital.
- Janus Del Prado as Wayne – Rubi's friend
- Irish Fullerton as Nicole – Maribel's schoolmate who bullies her.
- Regine Angeles as Lorena – another one of the female students bullying Maribel.
- Arlene Tolibas as Hilda Marquez – Elisa's friend.
- Mark Africa as Gabriel – Hector's evil co-worker.
- Angel Sy as Nathalie N. Ferrer – Luis' little sister and Genaro's daughter.
- Jon Avila as Saul – the school's most famous varsity basketball player.
- Jake Ocampo as Stu – a male model.
- Ryan Ramos as Toni – a doctor, who courts Cristina.
- Xyriel Manabat as Rubi/Theresa (5 years old)
- Daniella Amable as Rubi (8 years old)
- KC Aboloc as Princess/Young Cristina
Rubí is a Mexican telenovela that aired in 2004, starring actress Bárbara Mori in the title role, Eduardo Santamarina as Alejandro, Jacqueline Bracamontes as Maribel, and Sebastián Rulli as Hector. The series had a total of 115 episodes.
Rubi was launched as one of the ABS-CBN's offerings for the 60th Celebration of Filipino Soap Opera ("Ika-60 taon ng Pinoy Soap Opera") during the ABS-CBN Trade Launch for the first quarter of 2010, entitled "Bagong Simula" (New Beginning).
The theme song of the original Rubí series is used for the Philippine adaptation, "La Descarada" (lit: "The Shameless One"), performed by Reyli. The song was not translated into a Tagalog version and was covered by Anton Alvarez.
In the series Rubi, Rubi and Alejandro's theme song is called "Di Lang Ikaw" (lit: "Not Only You"), performed by Juris Fernandez. It is not translated into an English version.
- List of programs broadcast by ABS-CBN
- List of shows previously aired by ABS-CBN
- List of telenovelas of ABS-CBN
- Rubi: Feature Article retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 1-11-2010
- Rubi: Cast and Character retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 01-11-2010
- James Blanco is happy to be acting again retrieved via www.abs-cbn.com 02-07-2010