Rubus rosifolius, (syn. Rubus rosaefolius) also known as roseleaf bramble, West Indian raspberry, thimbleberry and ola'a is a prickly subshrub native to rainforest and tall open forest of the Himalayas, East Asia, and eastern Australia. It is also found abundantly in the Brazilian states Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and to the south until Rio Grande do Sul. The plant can also be found in a lot of San Francisco neighborhoods.
Rose-leaf bramble leaves are compound with toothed margins, with glandular-hairs on both sides of leaflets. Flowers are white in panicles or solitary. Edible fruit are 2 cm long.
Leaves stay green and fruits ripen in early autumn in Eastern Australia.
Although R.rosifolius is rarely cultivated, the plant has several uses. The fruit is sweet and pleasant flavoured when grown with good soil moisture. The fruit is also sold at markets in the Himalayas.
R. rosifolius is an introduced environmental weed in the Hawaiian Islands, Puerto Rico and French Polynesia, and extreme caution should be adopted when considering introducing this plant into regions where it is not already native.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rubus rosifolius.|
- Rubus rosaefolius plant profile, Plant for the Future database
- Frutas Brasileiras e Exóticas Cultivadas, Harri Lorenzi et al., Instituto Plantarum de Estudos da Flora, 2006
- PlantNET, Rubus rosifolius plant profile
- Gamble, J. S., A Manual of Indian Timbers, Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 1972
- Low, T., Bush Medicine - A Pharmacopoeia of Natural Remedies, 1990, ISBN 0-207-16462-2
- Southwell, I., 'The Constituents of Rubus rosifolius. The Structure of Rosifoliol, a Biogenetically Significant Sesquiterpenoid', Australian Journal of Chemistry, 1978, vol. 31(11), pp2527 - 2538
- Rubus rosifolius weed profile, Global Compendium of Weeds
- Rubus rosifolius plant profile, Plants Database, United States Department of Agriculture 
|This Australian rosid article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fruit-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Rosales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|