10 December 1961 |
|Residence||Maida Vale, London, England, UK|
|Education||BA (Hons) Economics|
|Alma mater||City University London|
|Occupation||Fashion and beauty
makeup artist, entrepreneur, columnist
|Known for||Co-founded Ruby & Millie cosmetics brand|
|Spouse(s)||George Hammer (1985–1999; divorced)
|Children||Reena Hammer (daughter)|
Ruby Hammer, MBE (born 10 December 1961) is a Nigerian-born British internationally acclaimed fashion and beauty makeup artist, columnist, co-founder of Ruby & Millie, and co-founder and director of Scarlett & Crimson cosmetics brand.
Hammer was born to Bangladeshi parents, in Nigeria, where her father was a doctor. She emigrated with her family to Britain at the age of 13. Her parents intended to return to Bangladesh, (which was known as East Pakistan at the time), but the Bangladesh Liberation War broke out there while they were on holiday in England. In 1984, Hammer graduated from City University London with a BA (Hons) in Economics.
In 1998, Hammer teamed up with beauty publicist Millie Kendall to create the Ruby & Millie cosmetics brand, sold exclusively in Boots pharmacies nationwide. It became one of the most innovative brands to be launched in the international beauty industry in decades and was the first major UK cosmetics brand to launch in 30 years. In August 1998, the first Ruby & Millie site was opened in Harvey Nichols, in Leeds and London.
Hammer has created looks for photographers, runways for designers, including John Galliano and Jasper Conran, and has worked on photo shoots for fashion publications such as Vogue, Elle, Red, Harpers and Queen, Bazaar and Marie Claire. She is regularly quoted on trends, beauty tips and advice.
Hammer worked on advertising campaigns and televisions commercials for international brands such as Oil of Olay, Pantene and Head & Shoulders. She has been asked to launch products, advise on new looks and train personnel for Estee Lauder, Clarins, Clinique, Aveda and Revlon. Her TV credits include The Clothes Show, BBC Style Challenge, Britain's Next Top Model, GMTV, This Morning and 10 Years Younger, where she was the resident makeup artist for 3 series.
In December 2009, Ruby & Millie launched teen cosmetics range ‘Scarlett and Crimson.’ In September 2011, Hammer launched launch the cosmetics beauty gifting range, “Ruby Hammer Recommends,” exclusive to Debenhams. Since March 2012, Hammer has been a beauty columnist for Easy Living magazine.
Awards and recognition
In December 2002, at the launch of the British Asian Fashion Awards held at The Clothes Show, Hammer received a special presentation of the very first award. The Outstanding Individuals Award, which pays tribute to an individual or group who has made a significant contribution to the British Asian or mainstream fashion industry, recognised her for the role she has carved for herself in the fashion and beauty industry over the past ten years.
In 1985, Hammer married Polish-born entrepreneur George Hammer. In 1999, they were divorced. In May 2004, her ex-husband married Lebanese housewife Nemri Najdi. In May 2009, Hammer married Italian-Polish hotelier Martin Kuczmarski after dating for five years.
She has a daughter, Reena (born 1987), who is creative director for Urban Retreat beauty salons. Between 2004 to 2012, Reena Hammer was romantically linked to actor and model, Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
- Hammer, Ruby; Kendall, Millie. (2000). “Face Up: The Essential Make-up Handbook”. Ebury Publishing; ISBN 0091874750, ISBN 978-0091874759.
- "Is she my mum or my sister? Meet the mothers turning back the years and rivaling the youth of their children". Daily Mail. 20 July 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Women". British Bangladeshi Power 100. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer MBE
- "Ruby Hammer MBE". Swadhinata Trust. 1999. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- "From International Makeup Artist to Successful Entrepreneur – Ruby Hammer Shares Her Inspirational Story". Female Entrepreneur Association. 24 October 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Interview with Ruby Hammer - International Make-Up Artist". Womens Everything. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby Hammer – Eyes". The Trusted Beauty Guide. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Asian Women Of Achievement Awards 2004 Finalists". Red Hot Curry. 20 February 2004. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- "Ruby Hammer MBE". Red Online. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby Hammer profile". Project Maven. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby and Millie 'Scarlett and Crimson' Launch". In Publishing. 15 December 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- Sewell, Cate (28 July 2011). "Ruby Hammer Launches Exclusive Range With Debenhams". Glam UK. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Ruby Hammer range at Debenhams". Gift Retailer. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- Stewart, Victoria (21 December 2009). "How to succeed as a make-up maestro". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Easy Living re-designs magazine and website". In Publishing. 1 February 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "British Bengali Success Stories". BritBangla. 2003. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby Hammer
- McCarthy, Fiona (4 September 2010). "'We'll turn Nadia's death into a force for good': How tragedy inspired one couple to create a fundraising beauty range". Daily Mail. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- McCarthy, Fiona (4 December 2009). "Ecclestones fall out over Bernie's lover". Daily Mail. Retrieved 1 May 2012. Ruby ready to shine for her big day
- "Jonathan Rhys Meyer to get married?". Closer. 9 February 2009. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- Eden, Richard (21 November 2009). "Marriage to Jonathan Rhys Meyers 'would be lovely', says Reena Hammer". The Telegraph. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "'Get help or I'll dump you': Jonathan Rhys Meyers returns to rehab after girlfriend issues ultimatum". The Telegraph. 19 May 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- Walker, Tim (18 January 2013). "Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ former girlfriend finds a man she can bank on". Daily Mail. Retrieved 26 January 2013.