19 June 1895|
|Died||6 July 1964
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1919)
|Years of service||1914–1919
|Rank||Oberst der Reserve|
|Commands held||Infanterie-Regiment 234
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Rudolf Bacherer (19 June 1895 – 6 July 1964) was a highly decorated Oberst der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II who held several regimental commands. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
In June 1944 Bacherer was commanding the 1049th Infantry Regiment on the Western Front when Major General Rudolf Stegmann, commander of the 77th Infantry Division was killed in American air raid. Bacherer was immediately promoted to command the Division and enjoyed some early successes, capturing 250 American prisoners on 17 June and the following day broke through US lines to link up with the remnants of the LXXXIV Corps near La Haye-du-Puits. The Division however, which was already understrength when Bacherer made his advance soon suffered heavy losses as the Americans forged ahead. Bacherer was captured by American forces following the fall of Saint-Malo in 1944 and was held as a POW until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Cross of Honor
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- Wound Badge
- in Black
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (29 January 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (10 July 1944)
- Samuel W. Mitcham Jr, Rommel's Last Battle: The Desert Fox and the Normandy Campaign, Jove Books, 1991, pp. 123-124
- Mitcham, Rommel's Last Battle, p. 153
- Thomas 1997, p. 13.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 102.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 73.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 3-7648-2299-6.