He was elected to the Federal Council of Switzerland on 8 December 1965 and handed over office on 31 December 1979. He was affiliated to the Party of Farmers, Traders and Independents (BGB/PAI), which became the Swiss People's Party in 1972.
During his office time he held the following departments:
- Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy (1966-1967)
- Federal Military Department (1968)
- Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy (1968)
- Federal Military Department (1969-1979)
He was President of the Confederation twice in 1971 and 1976.
His name is popularly remembered as the nickname of a Swiss Army ordonnance item, an olive-green jumper officially named Trikothemd 75, but commonly known as Gnägi.
- Rudolf Gnägi in the Dodis database of the Diplomatic Documents of Switzerland
- Rudolf Gnägi in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
Friedrich Traugott Wahlen
|Member of the Swiss Federal Council
|This article about a Swiss politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|