Rufus Johnson (American football)
|No. 55 New England Patriots|
|Position:||Defensive end / Outside linebacker|
|Date of birth:||August 28, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||272 lb (123 kg)|
|High school:||Dallas (TX) Grady Spruce|
|NFL draft:||2013 / Round: 6 / Pick: 183|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
Rufus Johnson (born August 28, 1990) is an American football defensive end with the New England Patriots. He was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at Tarleton State.
Johnson is only the fourth player from Tarleton to be drafted by the NFL, and as the 183rd overall pick he is the highest NFL draft pick in school history. As a senior he was Lone Star Conference defensive lineman of the year, and was chosen for several Division II all-America teams. Before Tarleton, he spent two years at Kilgore College. He caught the Saints' attention with a strong performance at the Texas vs The Nation all-star game. The Saints released Johnson on August 26, 2014.
- Glenn Guilbeau, "Saints eye another gem in Tarleton State's Rufus Johnson", Shreveport Times, February 23, 2013.
- Brad Keith, "Tarleton's Johnson drafted by Saints: Defensive end is Texans' highest-ever pick", Stephenville Empire-Tribune, April 27, 2013.
- Mark David, "College notes: Tarleton State's Rufus trying impress NFL scouts", Abilene Reporter-News, February 6, 2013.
- Mike Triplett, "New Orleans Saints follow same obscure path with Tarleton State DE Rufus Johnson that has led to great success in past", Times-Picayune, April 27, 2013.
- "Saints Impressed by Rufus Johnson at the Texas vs. The Nation Game", NewOrleansSaints.com, April 27, 2013.
- New Orleans Saints announce roster moves
- Kyed, Doug. "Patriots Sign Three, Including RB Dion Lewis, To Future Contracts". NESN. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
|This biographical article relating to an American football defensive lineman born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|