Ruins of Adventure
|Ruins of Adventure|
The title page of Ruins of Adventure
|Cover artist||Clyde Caldwell|
|Publication date||August, or September 1988|
|Media type||Print (Paperback) |
Ruins of Adventure is a Dungeons & Dragons module that served as the basis for the popular "Gold Box" role-playing video game Pool of Radiance, published in 1988 by Strategic Simulations, Inc. (SSI). According to the editors of Dragon magazine, Pool of Radiance was based on Ruins of Adventure, and not vice versa. The plot loosely tracks that of the computer game. It is now out of print.
Plot summary 
Ruins of Adventure contains four linked Forgotten Realms miniscenarios set in the ruined town of Phlan. The scenarios form the core of the Pool of Radiance computer game, and include clues to that game's solution.
The adventurers are hired to remove evil forces from Phlan, presumably by killing them. They hear rumor of a Boss controlling them and seek him out. This Boss proves to be a worthy adversary, but in the end the adventurers defeat him.
There are various locations in the fictional city of Phlan. Each of these locations comes with a map and detailed area description. These locations include:
- Kovel Mansion
- The Slum District
- The Temple of Bane
- Kuto's Well
- Mantor's Library
- Stojanow Gate
- Podol Plaza
- The Cadorna Textile House
- Valhingen Graveyard
- Valjevo Castle
- Sorcerer's Island
- Zhentil Keep Outpost
Pre-generated characters 
There are numerous pre-generated characters in this book. Monsters each have their own stats prepared and there are quite a few non-player characters.
Publication history 
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2010)|
- Ruins of Adventure. TSR, Inc. 1988. p. 1. ISBN 978-0-88038-588-6.
- Amazon.com, 2009, retrieved 20 October 2009
- Barnes & Noble, 2009, retrieved 20 October 2009
- Pen & Paper RPG Database, retrieved 20 October 2009
- "The Role of Computers". Dragon (159): 53. July 1990.
- Schick, Lawrence (1991). Heroic Worlds: A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games. Prometheus Books. p. 113. ISBN 0-87975-653-5.
- Ruins of Adventure. TSR, Inc. 1988. p. 3. ISBN 978-0-88038-588-6.