Rulers of India series
The Rulers of India was a biographical book series edited by William Wilson Hunter and published from the Clarendon Press, Oxford. Hunter himself contributed the volumes on Dalhousie (1890) and Mayo (1891) to the series.
William Hunter retired from his long career as a member of the Indian Civil Service in March 1887 and settled in Oxford, England. On 13 March 1889 Philip Lyttelton Gell, then Secretary to the Delegates of the Clarendon Press, wrote to Hunter about
a project which has been for some time under the consideration of the Delegates, to publish a series giving the salient features of Indian History in the Biographies of successive Generals and Administrators.
Gell arranged the publication of the series by June 1889; with Hunter receiving £75 for each volume, and the author £25. Financial constraints forced the series to end at 28 volumes in spite of Hunter's disappointment about the same.
|1||-||Smith, VincentVincent Arthur Smith||Asoka||-||-|
|2||-||Lane-Poole, StanleyStanley Lane-Poole||Babur||-||-|
|3||-||Stephens, H. MorseH. Morse Stephens||Albuquerque||-|
|4||-||Malleson, GeorgeGeorge Bruce Malleson||Akbar|||
|5||-||Lane-Poole, StanleyStanley Lane-Poole||Aurangzeb||-||-|
|6||-||Malleson, GeorgeGeorge Bruce Malleson||Dupleix, JosephJoseph François Dupleix||||-|
|7||-||Malleson, GeorgeGeorge Bruce Malleson||Clive, RobertLord Clive|||
|8||-||Trotter, LionelLionel James Trotter||Hastings, WarrenWarren Hastings||||-|
|9||-||Keene, HenryHenry George Keene||Sindhia, Madhava RaoMadhava Rao Sindhia||-||-|
|10||-||Seton-Karr, WalterWalter Scott Seton-Karr||Cornwallis, CharlesThe Marquis of Cornwallis||-||-|
|11||-||Bowring, LewinLewin Bentham Bowring||Ali, HyderHyder Ali and Tipu Sultan||-||-|
|12||-||Hutton, WilliamWilliam Holden Hutton||Wellesley, RichardThe Marquess Wellesley||||-|
|13||-||George, JohnMajor Ross of Bladensburg||Rawdon-Hastings, FrancisThe Marquess of Hastings||-||-|
|14||-||Cotton, JamesJames Sutherland Cotton||Elphinstone, MountstuartMountstuart Elphinstone||||-|
|15||-||Bradshaw, JohnJohn Bradshaw||Munro, ThomasSir Thomas Munro||-||-|
|16||-||Ritchie, AnneAnne T. Ritchie and R. Evans||Amherst, WilliamThe Earl Amherst||-||-|
|17||-||Boulger, DemetriusDemetrius Charles Boulger||Bentinck, WilliamLord William Bentinck||-||-|
|18||-||Trotter, LionelLionel James Trotter||Eden, GeorgeThe Earl of Auckland||-||-|
|19||-||Hardinge, CharlesCharles Stewart Hardinge||Hardinge, HenrySir Henry Hardinge||-||-|
|20||-||Griffin, LepelLepel Griffin||Singh, RanjitRanjit Singh||-||-|
|21||-||Hunter, WilliamWilliam Wilson Hunter||Broun-Ramsay, JamesThe Marquess of Dalhousie||||-|
|22||-||Temple, RichardRichard Temple||Thomason, JamesJames Thomason||-||-|
|23||-||Colvin, AucklandAuckland Colvin||Colvin, JohnJohn Russell Colvin||||-|
|24||-||Innes, JamesJames John McLeod Innes||Lawrence, HenrySir Henry Lawrence||-||-|
|25||-||Burne, OwenOwen Tudor Burne||Clyde and Strathnairn||||-|
|26||-||Cunningham, HenryHenry Stewart Cunningham||Canning, CharlesThe Earl Canning||-||-|
|27||-||Aitchison, CharlesCharles Umpherston Aitchison||Lawrence, JohnLord Lawrence||-||-|
|28||-||Hunter, WilliamWilliam Wilson Hunter||Bourke, RichardThe Earl of Mayo|||
- H. P. (1891). "Akbar (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson; Dupleix by G. B. Malleson; The Marquess of Dalhousie by William Wilson Hunter; Lord Lawrence, (English Men of Action) by Richard Temple". Revue Historique 47 (2): 387–393. JSTOR 40938228.
- H. P. (1892). "Lord Clive, (English Men of Action) by Charles Wilson; Warren Hastings by Alfred Lyall; Warren Hastings, (Rulers of India) by L. J. Trotter; The Earl of Mayo by William Wilson Hunter". Revue Historique 48 (2): 387–400. JSTOR 40939452.
- (Chatterjee 2004, p. 65–102)
- H. P. (1895). "Lord Clive, (Rulers of India) by G. B. Malleson; Lord Wellesley by W. H. Hutton; Land Revenue and Tenure in British India by B. H. Badenpowell". Revue Historique 59 (2): 404–408. JSTOR 40939319.
- Lane-Poole, S. (October 1894). "The Marquess Wellesley, K. G by W. H. Hutton". The English Historical Review 9 (36): 811–813. JSTOR 547604.
- "Rulers of India: Mountstuart Elphinstone by J. S. Cotton". The English Historical Review 7 (28): 813. October 1892. JSTOR 547455.
- Charles Edward Buckland (1906). Dictionary of Indian Biography. Swan Sonnenschein. p. 51.
- Hutton, W. H. (July 1895). "John Russell Colvin, the Last Lieutenant-Governor of the North-West under the Company by Auckland Colvin". The English Historical Review 10 (39): 604. JSTOR 547869.
- "Rulers of India: Clyde and Strathnairn by Owen Tudor Burne". The Journal of the Society of Arts 40 (2039): 123–124. December 18, 1891. JSTOR 41328306.