|County||Rumbek Central County|
|Elevation||1,380 ft (420 m)|
|• Total||32,100 Estimate|
Rumbek is approximately 377 kilometres (234 mi) by road northwest of Juba, the capital and largest city in the country. Its coordinates are and its elevation is 420 metres (1,380 ft) above sea level.
Rumbek is the headquarters of Rumbek Central County and is the capital of Lakes State, one of the ten (10) states of South Sudan. Following the peace agreement ending the Second Sudanese Civil War, the Sudanese People's Liberation Movement chose Rumbek to serve as the temporary administrative center of the Government of Southern Sudan. Later, Juba was selected to become the permanent capital. Like most South Sudanese towns, Rumbek suffered significant infrastructural damage during the civil war, in which an estimated 2 million people perished.
In 2004, the United Nations (OCHA) estimated the population of "Rumbek County" at about 82,500. At that time, the Dinka Agar constituted about 60% of the population, 30% were Dinka Gok, 6% were Bongo and 4% were Jur-Bel. In 2011, the population of the town of Rumbek is estimated at about 32,100.
The town of Rumbek is situated on the main road (A43) from Juba to the southeast to Wau to the northwest. There are two smaller roads out of town; one to Yirol to the east and another to Durbuoni to the north. Since 2005, some of the roads have undergone repairs. Rumbek is also served by Rumbek Airport. The main construction contractor in Rumbek, working on both the roads and the airport is Civicon Limited.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are found in or near Rumbek:
- The offices of Rumbek Town Council
- The headquarters of Rumbek Central County
- The headquarters of Lakes State Administration
- Rumbec Freedom Square - An outdoor venue in the middle of town for public and civic gatherings
- A branch of Kenya Commercial Bank (South Sudan)
- A branch of Nile Commercial Bank
- Lakes State Hospital - A public hospital administered by the Lakes State Government
- Rumbek Airport - A small airport with regular scheduled airline service and private air-charter providers
- Rumbek University - One of four (4) public universities in South Sudan
- "Estimated Road Distance Between Juba And Rumbek With Map". Distancecalculator.globefeed.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Elevation of Rumbek Is 412 Meters Above Sea Level". En.allmetsat.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- South Sudan's unlikely capital, BBC, 21 January 2005
- "Estimated Demographics of Rumbek County In 2004". Docs.google.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Estimated Town Population In 2011". Hereorthere.com. 2000-08-09. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Rumbek.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rumbek.|
- Location of Rumbek At GoogleMaps
- Thousands Celebrate Independence Day In Rumbek Freedom Square
- The Task of Rebuilding South Sudan