Rumon Gamba (born 24 November 1972), is an English conductor. He studied music at Durham University, and then went to the Royal Academy of Music in London, where he studied conducting with Colin Metters, George Hurst and Sir Colin Davis. He became the first conducting student to obtain the DipRAM (the Royal Academy of Music performer's diploma). He was a 1998 prize winner in the Lloyds Bank BBC Young Musicians Conductors Workshop. In 1998, he joined the BBC Philharmonic as its Assistant Conductor, and later became Associate Conductor. He left the orchestra in 2002.
Gamba was Chief Conductor and Music Director of the Iceland Symphony Orchestra from 2002 to 2010. He first conducted at NorrlandsOperan in northern Sweden in a concert of English music in 2007. Subsequently, in October 2008, he was named the next chief conductor and music director of NorrlandsOperan, with an initial contract of three years, effective from the 2009-2010 season. In March 2011, Gamba was named chief conductor of the Aalborg Symphony Orchestra, and formally took up the post as of the 2011-2012 season. His initial contract is for three years.
Following his house debut conducting Candide for its first production at the English National Opera he returned to the company in 2011 to conduct the world premiere of Nico Muhly's opera Two Boys.
During the opening week of the European City of Culture festival in Umeå in January 2014, Gamba conducted a complete Beethoven symphony cycle in the Konsertsalen where each of the nine symphonies was prefaced by the premiere of a new work by a contemporary composer. Gamba commented that the aim was to do something which would "blow away cobwebs". The concerts were all broadcast on Swedish radio.
Gamba has conducted a number of recordings for the Chandos Records label, particularly in their Film Music series. With the BBC Philharmonic, Gamba has recorded works of various composers, including Richard Addinsell, John Addison, Malcolm Arnold, Arnold Bax, Bernard Herrmann, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and Ralph Vaughan Williams. With the Iceland Symphony Orchestra, he has recorded music of Vincent d'Indy. He has also recorded music of Lord Berners and Constant Lambert with the BBC Concert Orchestra.
In 2006 his CD of "The Film Music of Erich Wolfgang Korngold" with the BBC Philharmonic was nominated in the Classical Crossover Album section at the 49th Grammy Awards.
- "Rumon Gamba blir NorrlandsOperans nye chefdirigent" (Press release). NorrlandsOperan. October 2008. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Rumon Gamba becomes Chief Conductor in Umeå" (Press release). NorrlandsOperan. October 2008. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Britisk chefdirigent til symfoniorkester". Nordjyske. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Carsten Lorenzen (2011-09-20). "Ny chefdirigent". TV2 Nord. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Milnes, R. Review of Candide at the London Coliseum, 25 June 2008. Opera, September 2008, Vol 59 No 9, p1082-83.
- Porter, A. Review of Two Boys at the London Coliseum, 24 June 2011. Opera, September 2011, Vol 62 No 9, p1106-07.
- Möte mellan gammalt och nytt i "Beethoven & Beyond"; report on Beethoven cycle with new works accessed 5 February 2014.
- List of Beethoven & Beyond concerts with dates and composers; page at NorrlandsOperan accessed 5 February 2014.
- sverigesradio P2 Live Beethoven & Beyond page, accessed 5 February 2014.
- Tim Ashley (2010-01-07). "Arnold: Ballet Music: BBC Philharmonic/Gamba". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Tim Ashley (2010-04-08). "Herrmann: Citizen Kane; Hangover Square (Boylan/Roscoe/BBC Philharmonic/Gamba)". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Tim Ashley (2007-12-14). "Korngold: The Sea Hawk; Manchester Chamber Choir/ BBCPO/Gamba". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Edward Greenfield (2002-11-08). "Vaughan Williams: Film Music". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Andrew Clements (2008-04-04). "D'Indy: Jour d'Été à La Montagne; La Forêt Enchantée; Souvenirs; Iceland Symphony Orch/Gamba". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Fiona Maddocks (2010-04-04). "D'Indy: Orchestral Works Vol 3/Iceland Symphony Orchestra/Gamba, Sigurour Flosason (saxophone)". The Observer. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Tim Ashley (2008-05-08). "Lambert/ Berners: Film Music, Carewe/ BBCCO/ Gamba". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- Complete list of Grammy Award nominations The Associated Press 8 December 2006 accessed 5 February 2014.
- Official Rumon Gamba website
- Harrison Parrott agency biography of Rumon Gamba
- Answers.com page on Rumon Gamba
- Philip Lane, liner notes to CHAN 10046, The Film Music of Richard Addinsell
- Lewis Foreman and Graham Parlett, liner notes to CHAN 10126, The Film Music of Sir Arnold Bax
|Chief Conductor and Music Director, Iceland Symphony Orchestra
|Chief Conductor and Music Director, NorrlandsOperan
|Chief Conductor, Aalborg Symphony Orchestra