Run for Your Wife (2012 film)
Run for Your Wife is a UK-made 2012 film, based on the theatre farce Run for Your Wife, written by Ray Cooney, who produced and along with John Luton, also directed the film. The executive producer is Vicki Michelle. Upon release the film was savaged by critics and has been referred to as one of the worst films of 2013 after it grossed only £602 in its opening weekend at the British box office. The film is regarded by some critics as one of the worst films ever made.
The story of London cab driver John Smith, with two wives, two lives and a very precise schedule for juggling them both. With one wife at home in Stockwell and another at home in Finsbury and with occupants of the flat upstairs at the former location.
Trouble brews when Smith is mugged and ends up in hospital, where both of his addresses surface, causing both the Stockwell and Finsbury police to investigate. Having upset his schedule, Smith becomes hopelessly entangled in his attempts with his lazy layabout neighbour upstairs in Stockwell, to explain himself to his wives and two suspicious police officers.
Over 80 celebrities agreed to make cameo appearances having all agreed to donate their fees to a theatrical charity. Just several days after the film was released, Richard Briers died; Frank Thornton passed away the following month and Bill Pertwee died in May.
Run for Your Wife met with such overwhelmingly negative reviews upon release that the reviews themselves were widely reported in the UK media. The film was variously described as "a catastrophe", "as funny as leprosy" and "30 years past its sell-by-date", with The Guardian reviewer Peter Bradshaw saying that it "makes The Dick Emery Show look edgy and contemporary". The Independent's Anthony Quinn wrote, "The stage play ran for nine years - it (the film) will be lucky to run for nine days. Perhaps never in the field of light entertainment have so many actors sacrificed so much dignity in the cause of so few jokes… From the look of it, Cooney hasn't been in a cinema for about 30 years". The cameo-heavy cast was commented upon by several reviewers, with the Metro commenting that "no one emerges unscathed among the cameo-packed cast that reads largely like a roll-call for Brit TV legends you'd previously suspected deceased". The Daily Record described the film as "an exasperating farce containing not one single, solitary laugh. Comprised of people losing their trousers and falling over, the film looks like a pilot for a (mercifully) never-commissioned 70's sitcom". An article in the Independent described Run for Your Wife (along with the similarly badly received Movie 43) as contenders for the title of the "worst film in history". The Berkhamsted & Tring Gazette reported "critics have being queuing up to batter recent release Run for Your Wife, with general agreement that it ranks among the worst British comedies of all time". The Daily Mirror later claimed Run For Your Wife "was branded the worst British film ever." 
- Danny Dyer - John Smith
- Denise van Outen - Michelle Smith
- Sarah Harding - Stephanie Smith
- Neil Morrissey - Gary Gardner
- Ben Cartwright - D. S. Troughton
- Nicholas Le Prevost - D. S. Porterhouse
- Kellie Shirley - Susie Browning
- Christopher Biggins - Bobby Franklin
- Lionel Blair - Cyril
- Jeffrey Holland - Dick Holland
- Louise Michelle - Frances
- Nick Wilton - Taxi Driver
- Christopher Sweeney - Police Officer
Cameo roles (alphabetical)
- Russ Abbot - Hospital patient
- Robin Askwith - Bus driver
- Lynda Baron - Nurse
- Richard Briers - Newspaper seller
- Jess Conrad - Piano player
- Tom Conti - Actor
- Wendy Craig - Nanny
- Bernard Cribbins - Hospital patient
- Barry Cryer - Busker
- Ian Cullen - Wrinkled Man
- Pamela Cundell - War Widow
- Judi Dench - Bag lady
- Derek Fowlds - Man in hat
- Liza Goddard - Hippy woman
- Derek Griffiths - Actor on swing
- Rolf Harris - Busker
- Louise Jameson - Doctors Receptionist
- Maureen Lipman - Exercising woman
- Brian Murphy - Allotment man
- Geoffrey Palmer Man on toilet
- Bill Pertwee - Man on bus
- Su Pollard - Shopkeeper
- Cliff Richard - Busker
- Andrew Sachs - Clumsy waiter
- Prunella Scales - Woman at pub
- Donald Sinden - Man on bus
- Sylvia Syms - Hip operation woman
- Frank Thornton - Man getting off bus
- Wanda Ventham - Cameo
- Marcia Warren - Woman on seat
- Dennis Waterman - Minding Person
- Timothy West - Man at pub
- June Whitfield - Exercising woman
- Simon Williams - Café customer
- Mark Wingett - Man outside café
- "Run For Your Wife". Run For Your Wife. Retrieved 2011-12-31.
- Danny Dyer's Run For Your Wife takes just £602 at the box office Radio Times, 20 February 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "Danny Dyer's 'Run For Your Wife' flops with £747 at the box office". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Run for Your Wife, Full Cast and Crew, IMDB
- Ray Winstone, Cliff Richard waive cameo fee for Danny Dyer film Digital Spy, 2 August 2011.
- 'Run for Your Wife' - Is this the worst movie ever filmed? Yahoo Movies - UK & Ireland, 16 February 2013.
- Run for Your Wife – review The Guardian, 14 February 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Film review: Run for Your Wife The Independent (London), 14 February 2013.
- Run for Your Wife - 'As funny as leprosy' The Independent (London), 15 February 2013.
- Movie Review: Run for your wife Daily Record, 15 February 2013.
- Run For Your Wife: Is this movie the biggest turkey ever filmed? The Independent. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Run for Your Wife", Berkhamsted & Tring Gazette, 11 March 2013.
- Danny Dyer's film company went bust with debt to taxpayer of £25,000 Daily Mirror, 6 October 2013. Retrieved 20 January 2014.