The harbor in Runavik
Location of Runavíkar kommuna in the Faroe Islands
|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|Constituent country||Faroe Islands|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Summer (DST)||EST (UTC+1)|
|Postal code||FO 620|
It lies on the south half of the isle of Eysturoy.
Founded in 1916, Runavík has an important port, originally used predominantly by fishing boats but now also a key supply base for the North Sea oil industry as well as a trans-shipment port for freight to and from Europe. The harbor underwent development in the late 1990s.
A massive infrastructure project has been mooted to build an 11 km-long sub-sea tunnel between Runavík and Tórshavn by 2018 thereby significantly reducing travel times to the capital. If built the tunnel would cost around 1 billion Danish Krone. In 2014 all political parties of the Faroese parliament agreed on how and when to build Eysuroyartunnilin and Sandoyartunnilin. They expect that the drillings will start in 2016 regarding Eysturoyartunnilin and two years later regarding Sandoyartunnilin
Runavík is twinned with
Media related to Runavík at Wikimedia Commons
- "Atlantic Supply Base". Runavíkar Kommuna. Retrieved 5, January, 2011.
- Hart's E&P.. Hart Publications. 1999. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Maritime & Related Optimism at Port of Runavík". Faroes Business Report 2010. 25 April 2010. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- "Tunnel development group". Skalafjardartunnilin.fo. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- kvf.fo. Tunlarnir verða lidnir í 2021
- Aktuelt.fo, Tunnilin skal upp bæði á Strondum og í Runavík