Runner Runner (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Brad Furman|
|Written by||Brian Koppelman
& David Levien
|Music by||Christophe Beck|
|Edited by||Jeff McEvoy|
Appian Way Productions
Double Feature Films
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Running time||91 minutes|
|Box office||$62.7 million|
Runner Runner is a 2013 American crime thriller film directed by Brad Furman, and written by Brian Koppelman and David Levien. The film stars Justin Timberlake, Ben Affleck, Gemma Arterton, and Anthony Mackie, and was produced by Arnon Milchan, Jennifer Davisson Killoran, and Leonardo DiCaprio. It was released in Belgium, France and the Philippines on September 25, 2013, and in several other countries on the following days. It was released in the United States on October 4, 2013. Some parts of this narrative are based on the life of Nat Arem, a professional poker player and former accountant at Deloitte Touche who helped uncover cheating in online poker by using statistical methods to analyze thousands of games. The film received generally negative reviews from critics.
Richie Furst used to have a lucrative career on Wall Street; this history prevents him from receiving tuition assistance at Princeton, so he funds his master's degree by referring students to online gambling, for which he receives a cut. After the dean threatens to expel him for these activities, Richie tries to win his tuition using his excellent poker skills in online gambling, but he loses all his money to a cheater, something he is able to prove by statistics.
Richie goes to Costa Rica to confront Ivan Block, who runs the biggest empire of online gambling websites in the world, including the one Richie lost his money on. After Ivan sees the statistics, he finds coders have coded the software to allow them to cheat. After firing those involved, Ivan tells Richie he'll pay him millions per year to stay in Costa Rica and assist with the site.
Richie slowly begins a romantic relationship with Rebecca Shafran, ex-lover of Ivan, who appears to have no objections. Ivan has Richie blackmail a gaming affiliate with videos of his infidelity to force him to sign with Ivan. FBI agent Shavers kidnaps Richie and threatens to ruin his life in various ways if he does not assist in a conviction of Ivan Block. Shavers cannot do anything legally as he has no authority in Costa Rica, but he takes advantage of this to use tactics that would be illegal and unethical for law enforcement inside the United States. Ivan tells Richie that everyone in the organization ends up confronted by Shavers at some point.
Over time, Ivan's organization is revealed to be less than ethical. He sends Richie to bribe Costa Rica gaming director Herrera with too small a payment, which leads to Richie being beaten. Ivan tells him it comes with the territory of such a lucrative career. Ivan throws Herrera and his bodyguard into a lake of crocodiles, but pulls them out before they are eaten. Richie's friend Andrew Cronin, who works on the software design for Ivan, finds that Ivan is running a Ponzi scheme; the players' accounts have no actual money, and Ivan uses the money as his own bank account, keeping just enough to allow players to cash out when they need to. Cronin disappears and is later found nearly beaten to death. Aware that Richie might be wanting out, Ivan buys the massive poker debts of Richie's father and brings him to Costa Rica, using him as a hostage.
When Richie tries to leave the country, Shavers has drugs planted in his bag and offers to overlook it if Richie agrees to cooperate. A local police officer reveals that the police dislike Ivan but that he would buy his way out of any trouble and destroy whoever tried to take him down. Thanks to Rebecca betraying Ivan, Richie finds out that Ivan has been swindling him all along; Ivan is about to move his operations out of Costa Rica, planning to leave Richie behind as the fall guy. Richie gives out massive bribes to local officials, including low-level police officers. When the movement day hits, Ivan calls to sarcastically apologize to Richie, telling him he will be busted, as Ivan flies away on a private jet.
When Ivan lands, he finds he has been betrayed: the bribed pilot has instead flown him to Puerto Rico, an American territory. Shavers and other FBI agents move in to arrest him as Richie and Rebecca fly away on the private jet. Shavers says they're free to go because Richie left a flash drive for him containing sufficient evidence to convict Ivan.
- Justin Timberlake as Richie Furst
- Ben Affleck as Ivan Block
- Gemma Arterton as Rebecca Shafran
- Anthony Mackie as Agent Shavers
- Michael Esper as Billy "Pet" Petricoff
- Oliver Cooper as Andrew Cronin
- Christian George as Wilson
- Yul Vazquez as Delegate Herrera
- John Heard as Harry Furst
- James Molina as Esteban
- Louis Lombardi as Archie
- Vincent Laresca as Sergeant Barrancas
- Bernie O. Ramos Robledo as Handlebar Mustache
- Sam Palladio as Shecky
- David Costabile as Professor Hornstein
- Jordan Beder as Paul Arnaud
- Bob Gunton as Dean Alex Monroe
- Ben Schwartz as Craig
- Dayo Okeniyi as Lionel
Runner Runner received mostly negative reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 9% based on 113 reviews. Metacritic gives the film a score of 36/100, based on reviews from 31 critics.
In its opening weekend, the film came in third place with $7.8 million behind Gravity and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. It grossed $19.3 million in North America and $43.4 million in the rest of the world for a worldwide total of $62.7 million.
- "RUNNER RUNNER (15)". 20th Century Fox. British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Runner Runner at Box Office Mojo
- Arem, Nat. "Post Trip Update". natarem.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Key Players: Poker Scandal". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Arem, Nat. "Absolute Poker Cheating Scandal". Natarem.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Runner Runner". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Knapp, Krystal (13 December 2012). "Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck in Princeton for Filming of Runner Runner Tomorrow". Planet Princeton. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- "‘Runner Runner’, starring Justin Timberlake & Ben Affleck, filming in NY/NJ area this weekend". On Location Vacations. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- Hecht, John (7 September 2012). "Why Hollywood Loves Puerto Rico". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Anisiobi, J J (18 July 2012). "I'm on a boat! Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck sweat it out on a yacht while filming new movie Runner Runner". Daily Mail. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Runner Runner". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- Official website
- Runner Runner on Facebook
- Runner Runner at the Internet Movie Database
- Runner Runner at Box Office Mojo
- Runner Runner at Rotten Tomatoes
- Runner Runner at Metacritic