Running Wild (band)
Running Wild live in Bonn (2005)
|Genres||Heavy metal, power metal, speed metal|
|Years active||1976–2009, 2011–present|
|Labels||GUN, Noise, Steamhammer|
|Associated acts||Grave Digger, Accept, Helloween, X-Wild|
|Past members||See: Former members|
Running Wild is a German heavy metal band, formed in 1976 in Hamburg. They were part of the German metal scene to emerge in the early to mid-1980s. Over the course of their career, they have released fifteen studio albums, three live albums, five compilation albums, and six singles/EPs. Although their earlier releases contained Satanic themes and imagery, Gerald "Preacher" Warnecke, the guitar player of the band, was studying theology at the time and is now a vicar in Cologne.
In 1987, the band released the album Under Jolly Roger, which was a switch to pirate-based and historical themes. While the historical lyrics were very superficial at first, the lyrics for later albums were intensively researched by Rolf Kasparek particularly.
After this album, from 1988 to 1992 (the albums Port Royal, Death or Glory, Blazon Stone and Pile of Skulls), Running Wild mainly wrote historically-based lyrics. In addition to lyrics about pirates like Calico Jack, Klaus Störtebeker, or the little-known Henry Jennings, the band also addressed subjects like the Wars of the Roses, the Battle of Waterloo, or the colonization of the New World by the Conquistadors.
On April 17, 2009 Rolf announced that Running Wild had split up. Their intended last show was at Wacken Open Air on July 30, 2009. It was recorded for CD and DVD release and appeared as The Final Jolly Roger on June 24, 2011.
As of October 21, 2011, Running Wild have reformed. Their most recent album, titled Resilient, was released in October 2013.
- Uwe Bendig (1976–84)
- Gerald "Preacher" Warnecke (1984–85)
- Majk Moti (1985–90)
- Axel Morgan (X-Wild) (1990–93)
- Thilo Hermann (ex-Grave Digger, ex-Holy Moses, ex-Faithful Breath, ex-Risk) (1994-01)
- Bernd Aufermann (Angel Dust) (2002–04)
- Jörg Schwarz (1976)
- Carsten David (1976–79)
- Matthias Kaufmann (1980–83)
- Stephan Boriss (1984–87)
- Jens Becker (Grave Digger, X-Wild) (1987–92)
- Thomas Smuszynski (ex-U.D.O., ex-Darxon) (1992-02)
- Peter Pichl (2002-09)
- Jan S. Eckert (Masterplan, Iron Savior) (2009)
- Michael Hoffmann (1976–82)
- Wolfgang "Hasche" Hagemann (1982–87)
- Stefan Schwarzmann (Accept, ex-Helloween, Paradox, ex-X-Wild, ex-U.D.O., ex-Voice) (1987–88, 1992–93)
- Ian Finlay (ex-Justice, ex-Demon Pact) (1988–90)
- Jörg Michael (ex-Stratovarius, ex-Saxon, Unleashed Power, ex-Axel Rudi Pell, ex-Avenger, ex-Rage, ex-Grave Digger, ex-Mekong Delta, ex-Tom Angelripper, ex-Headhunter) (1990, 1994–98)
- Rudiger Dreffein (1990–92)
- Christos Efthimiadis (Sub7even, ex-Rage) (1998–99, 2001)
- Angelo Sasso (2000–02)
- Matthias Liebetruth (2002-09)
- "The Final Jolly Roger (Deluxe Edition): Running Wild: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - RUNNING WILD To Release 'The Final Jolly Roger' In June". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Running Wild.|