Running Wild (band)
|This article is outdated. (March 2013)|
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Running Wild live on stage in Bonn in 2005.
|Genres||Heavy metal, power metal, speed metal|
|Years active||1976–2009, 2011–present|
|Associated acts||Grave Digger, Accept, Helloween, X-Wild|
|Past members||See: Former members|
Running Wild is a German heavy metal band, formed in 1976 in Hamburg. They were part of the German metal scene to emerge in the early to mid-1980s. Although the earlier releases contained satanic themes and imagery, Gerald “Preacher” Warnecke, the guitar player of the band, was studying theology at the time and is a vicar in Cologne now.
In 1987, the band released the album "Under Jolly Roger" which was a switch to pirate-based and historical themes. While the historical lyrics were very superficial at first, the lyrics for later albums were intensively researched by Rolf Kasparek particularly.
After this album, from 1988 to 1992 (the albums "Port Royal", "Death Or Glory", "Blazon Stone" and "Pile Of Skulls") Running Wild mainly wrote historically-based lyrics. As well as lyrics about pirates like Calico Jack Rackham, Klaus Störtebeker or the little-known Henry Jennings, the band also addressed subjects like the Wars Of The Roses, The Battle Of Waterloo or the colonization of the New World by the Conquistadors.
On April 17, 2009 Rolf announced that Running Wild had split-up. Their last show was at Wacken Open Air on July 30, 2009. It was recorded for CD and DVD release and appeared as The Final Jolly Roger on June 24, 2011.
As of October 21, 2011, Running Wild have reformed and have a new album that is due to be released in September, 2013.
Current members 
Former members 
- Uwe Bendig (1976–84)
- Gerald "Preacher" Warnecke (1984–85)
- Majk Moti (1985–90)
- Axel Morgan (X-Wild) (1990–93)
- Thilo Hermann (ex-Grave Digger, ex-Holy Moses, ex-Faithful Breath, ex-Risk) (1994-01)
- Bernd Aufermann (Angel Dust) (2002–04)
- Jörg Schwarz (1976)
- Carsten David (1976–79)
- Matthias Kaufmann (1980–83)
- Stephan Boris (1984–87)
- Jens Becker (Grave Digger, X-Wild) (1987–92)
- Thomas Smuszynski (ex-U.D.O., ex-Darxon) (1992-02)
- Peter Pichl (Herman Frank) - Bass (2002–2009)
- Jan S. Eckert (Masterplan, Iron Savior) (2009)
- Michael Hoffmann (1976–82)
- Wolfgang "Hasche" Hagemann (1982–87)
- Stefan Schwarzmann (Accept, ex-Helloween, Paradox, ex-X-Wild, ex-U.D.O., ex-Voice) (1987–88, 1992–93)
- Ian Finlay (ex-Justice, ex-Demon Pact) (1988–90)
- Jörg Michael (ex-Stratovarius, ex-Saxon, Unleashed Power, ex-Axel Rudi Pell, ex-Avenger, ex-Rage, ex-Grave Digger, ex-Mekong Delta, ex-Tom Angelripper, ex-Headhunter) (1990, 1994–98)
- Rudiger Dreffein (1990–92)
- Christos Efthimiadis (Sub7even, ex-Rage) (1998–1999, 2001)
- Angelo Sasso (2000–02)
- Matthias Liebetruth (ex-Victory) - Drums (2002–2009)
- "The Final Jolly Roger (Deluxe Edition): Running Wild: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - RUNNING WILD To Release 'The Final Jolly Roger' In June". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Running Wild|