Running in the Family
|Running in the Family|
|Studio album by Level 42|
|Released||March, 1987 (UK)|
|Recorded||Recorded and mixed at Sarm West 1986.
"Lessons In Love" / "Children Say" backing tracks recorded by Nick Froome at Maison Rouge 1986
Digital engineering by Carlos Olms, London.
|Genre||Pop, jazz-funk, dance-rock, new wave|
|Producer||Wally Badarou, Level 42|
|Level 42 chronology|
|Singles from Running in the Family|
Running in the Family was the seventh album from Level 42, released in 1987.
It featured the UK hit singles: "Lessons in Love" (which reached No. 3 in May 1986), "Running in the Family" (No. 6 in February 1987), "To Be With You Again" (No. 10 in April '87), "It's Over" (No. 10, in September 1987) and "Children Say" (No. 22 at the end of 1987). All five singles peaked in the top 10 in the Netherlands, where the band were always popular. "Lessons in Love" peaked at #1 in Germany, South Africa, Switzerland and Denmark. This was the last Level 42 album of 1980's to feature brothers Phil (drums) and Roland 'Boon' Gould (guitar), who had cited dissatisfaction with the musical direction of the band, and exhaustion as departure reasons.
Later in '87 The Platinum Edition of the album was issued. The CD and cassette replaced Lessons In love, Running In The Family and It's Over with remixed versions, and added remixes of Something About You and World Machine from the previous album. On vinyl the remixes were featured on one 33rpm record which was shrink-wrapped to the standard edition of the Running In The Family album.
Also in 1987 the group released the video collection "Family of Five" with the music videos of the five singles from Running in the Family. The release was only in the United Kingdom. The album itself was a big international success, reaching the Top 10 in numerous countries and the Top 25 in the U.S.; in the U.K., it was certified 2x Platinum by the BPI.
- "Lessons in Love" (Badarou / R. Gould / King) 4:04
- "Children Say" (King / Lindup / P. Gould) 4:53
- "Running in the Family" (P. Gould / Badarou / King) 6:12
- "It's Over" (King / R. Gould / Badarou) 6:02
- "To Be With You Again" (King / R. Gould) 5:19
- "Two Solitudes" (King / P. Gould / Lindup) 5:17 (Mike Lindup on vocals)
- "Fashion Fever" (King / P. Gould / R. Gould / Lindup) 4:35
- "The Sleepwalkers" (King / P. Gould) 6:02
- "Freedom Someday" (King / P. Gould / R. Gould / Lindup) 6:20 - originally a bonus track on the CD and cassette
2000 reissue bonus tracks
- "Lessons in Love (Shep's Final Mix)" – 5:45
- "Children Say (Slap Bass Mix)" – 4:49
- "To Be With You Again (A.D.S.C. Mix)" – 5:45
- "Running in the Family (HTL Dub)" – 6:11
- Wally Badarou – keyboards, vocals
- Gary Barnacle – saxophone on "Lessons in Love"
- Krys Mach – saxophone on "Running in the Family"
|1987||"Running in the Family"||Netherlands||#1|
|UK album charts||#2|
|US Billboard 200||#23|
||UK Single Charts||#3|
|Billboard Hot 100||#12|
||UK Single Charts||#6|
|Billboard Hot 100||#83|
||UK Single Charts||#10|
||UK Single Charts||#10|
||UK Single Charts||#22|
- Allmusic review
- [April, LM Magazine review]
- Record Mirror review
- Rolling Stone review
- The Definitive Online Level 42 Collectors Resource: Media