Location of Ruokolahti in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Antti Pätilä|
|• Total||1,219.90 km2 (471.01 sq mi)|
|• Land||943.50 km2 (364.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||276.4 km2 (106.7 sq mi)|
|Area rank||94th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||175th largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.92/km2 (15.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.6%|
|• 15 to 64||61.5%|
|• 65 or older||24.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.5%|
Ruokolahti (Swedish: Ruokolax) is a municipality of Finland, situated in south-eastern Finland, in the region of South Karelia. Neighbouring municipalities are Imatra, Lappeenranta, Taipalsaari, Puumala, Sulkava, Punkaharju, Parikkala and Rautjärvi. Ruokolahti covers an area of 1,219.90 square kilometres (471.01 sq mi) of which 23% is water.
Ruokolahti is especially known for its natural beauty. In the west there is the shimmering Lake Saimaa and in the east there are hundreds of smaller lakes. The big Salpausselkä ridges run through the area. It is also the town in which famed sniper Simo Häyhä, considered to be one of the greatest of all time, spent the last years of his life.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Hupponen, Paula (14 December 2003). "General Information". Discover Ruokolahti. Ruokolahti: Municipality of Ruokolahti. Retrieved 15 February 2009. (Text from Discover Ruokolahti web site with a permission.)
Media related to Ruokolahti at Wikimedia Commons
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|