|The Rt Revd
|Dean of Liverpool|
|In office||1999–2007 (retired)|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in Manchester (2007–present)
Area Bishop of Dudley (1993–1999)
|Ordination||1964 (deacon); 1965 (priest)|
3 March 1940 |
Sussex, United Kingdom
|Children||3 sons; 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Oxford|
He graduated in 1961 with a First Class Honours and spend the following year in Berlin on a scholarship from Coventry Cathedral. In 1963, he returned to Cambridge, this time attending Westcott House Theological College. In 1964, he achieved another First Class Honours in Part III of the Cambridge Tripos and completed his PhD thesis on the relationship between theology and psychiatry in 1973.
He became a deacon in 1964, and became a curate at St Mary's Oldham in the Diocese of Manchester in 1965. In 1968, he took up a post at Queen's College, Birmingham where he lectured for five years. He also became an Honorary Canon Theologian at Coventry Cathedral, holding this post for six years. In 1972, he returned to Manchester as rector of the Parish of the Resurrection.
In 1978, he returned to Birmingham as a canon residentiary of Birmingham Cathedral, before being appointed Principal of Westcott House in 1981. He was area Bishop of Dudley in the Diocese of Worcester between 1993 and 2000 before moving to become the fifth Dean of Liverpool in 1999. He retired as Dean of Liverpool in 2007.
- Rupert Hoare (1940–1965)
- The Revd Rupert Hoare (1965–1968)
- The Revd Canon Rupert Hoare (1968–1973)
- The Revd Canon Dr Rupert Hoare (1973–1993)
- The Rt Revd Dr Rupert Hoare (1993–present)
Although Hoare became Dean of Liverpool, which would usually carry with it the style of the Very Revd, he was already a bishop and thus kept the style title of the Rt Revd. Therefore he was known as the Rt Revd Rupert Hoare, Dean of Liverpool; not the Very Revd Rupert Hoare.
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- GS 1445: Report of the Dioceses Commission, Diocese of Worcester (Accessed 23 April 2014)
- The London Gazette: . 29 November 2007. Retrieved 2008-09-15.
|Bishop of Dudley
|Dean of Liverpool