Philadelphia Phillies – No. 68
April 11, 1986 |
|September 15, 2011 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through 2012 season)
|Runs batted in||12|
Career highlights and awards
Tampa Bay Rays
Before the 2011 season, in his first year of free agency, he signed a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays, saying later he thought it gave him the best chance to make the major leagues. He was the 2011 International League MVP after hitting .314/.401/.530 with 18 home runs and 83 runs batted in (RBIs) in 131 games.
Canzler fulfilled his goal in signing with the Rays when was called up to the majors for the first time on September 11, 2011.
Canzler was traded to the Cleveland Indians on January 31, 2012 in exchange for cash considerations. Canzler was designated for assignment on December 19, 2012 to make room on the 40-man roster for Mark Reynolds.
The Toronto Blue Jays claimed Canzler off waivers from the Cleveland Indians on December 21, 2012. Cleveland reacquired Canzler off waivers from Toronto on January 2, 2013, then the New York Yankees claimed him off waivers from the Indians a day later on January 4, 2013. The Yankees designated Canzler for assignment on February 1, when they signed Travis Hafner. He was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles on February 5, 2013.
New York Yankees
Canzler signed a minor league contract with the Philadelphia Phillies on June 26, 2014, and was assigned to the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. On November 13, 2014, Canzler was re-signed by the Phillies.
- Seamon, Dave (20 November 2010). "Canzler adds to Rays' local flavor". Standard-Speaker (Hazleton, PA). Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Laws, Will (9 June 2011). "Canzler sparking Bulls". The News & Observer (Raleigh, NC). Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Chastain, Bill (30 August 2011). "Canzler named International League MVP". Mlb.com (Major League Baseball Advanced Media). Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Topkin, Marc (11 September 2011). "Triple-A stars Russ Canzler, Dane De La Rosa to join Tampa Bay Rays today". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Hoynes, Paul (31 January 2012). "Cleveland Indians acquire INF/OF Russ Canzler from Rays for cash". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH). Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Cohen, Jason (December 2, 2013). "Yankees sign Russ Canzler to a minor league deal". pinstripealley.com. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- Calcaterra, Craig (November 13, 2014). "The Phillies sign Jeff Francoeur, seven others to minor league deals". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)