||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009)|
Allen singing live in Novara, Italy in 2007
|Birth name||Russell Allen|
|Also known as||Sir Russell Allen (Star One)|
July 19, 1971 |
Long Beach, California, United States
|Genres||Progressive metal, power metal, heavy metal, hard rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, bass, guitar, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Symphony X, Adrenaline Mob, Allen-Lande, Star One,
Level 10, Avantasia,
- 1 Biography
- 2 Musical style
- 3 Discography
- 3.1 Solo
- 3.2 With Symphony X
- 3.3 With Star One
- 3.4 With Allen/Lande
- 3.5 With Adrenaline Mob
- 3.6 With Level 10
- 3.7 As a guest
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Before working with a rock band, he was a jouster at a Medieval Times Dinner Theater. He was introduced to the band Symphony X by former singer Rod Tyler. Allen has been the lead singer of Symphony X since 1995, releasing seven studio albums and one live album with the band. His first solo album, Atomic Soul, was released April 25, 2005. As well as singing he also plays the bass when performing songs from Atomic Soul live. He is referred to in various circles as "Sir Russell Allen", and he is credited as such on Arjen Lucassen's Star One albums, because of a joke that Arjen made knowing Allen's former "job" as a jouster.
In the summer of 2005 he went on tour with Symphony X on Dave Mustaine's Gigantour alongside such bands as Dream Theater, Megadeth, and Nevermore. In the same year, he also made part of a duo melodic rock project with singer Jørn Lande (ex-Masterplan) called Allen/Lande, which already has four albums, all released by Frontiers Records.
In addition to being Symphony X vocalist, he is also currently working in another band with guitarist Mike Orlando called Adrenaline Mob. The EP, Adrenaline Mob, was released in August 2011. The first full length album Omertà was released in March 2012 and a new album called Men of Honor will be released in 2014.
In November 2013, Allen joined Trans-Siberian Orchestra for their 2013 Fall/Winter tour.
In 2014, it was announced a new project featuring Russell Allen with bassist Mat Sinner and other members of the German band Primal Fear called Level 10, to be unleashed in January 2015. The release date and the name of the album were revealed in November 13, entitled "Chapter One", and release stated on January 23rd, 2015 in Europe and on January 27th, 2014 in North America via Frontiers Music srl. 
Multi-instrumentalist, singer and composer Arjen Lucassen has said the following regarding Russell Allen:
Russell has a very powerful and versatile voice, and on top of that he is a great musician and performer. Russell was one of the few singers with whom I didn’t need to be present during recording, but when on the phone he let me hear the parts he had sung, my eyes filled with tears. Russell thought I was joking, but I was truly moved! At the moment Russell is one of the best singers in the world. And he proved that during the Star One tour.
Allen has worked with Lucassen on various occasions: originally he sang the song "Dawn of a Million Souls" on Ayreon's 2000 album Universal Migrator Part 2: Flight of the Migrator (which also featured a guitar solo by Michael Romeo), and in 2002 he became one of the lead vocalists for Lucassen's project Star One.
- Atomic Soul (2005)
With Symphony X
- The Damnation Game (1995)
- The Divine Wings of Tragedy (1997)
- Twilight in Olympus (1998)
- V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)
- Live on the Edge of Forever (2001)
- The Odyssey (2002)
- Paradise Lost (2007)
- Iconoclast (2011)
With Adrenaline Mob
- Chapter One (2015)
As a guest
- Flight of the Migrator (2000) - Guest vocals on Dawn of a Million Souls
With Genius - A Rock Opera
- Episode 2: In Search of the Little Prince (2004) - as The Dream League Commander
- ReVamp (2010) - Guest vocals on Sweet Curse
- Momentum (2013) - Guest vocals on Reason
With Takayoshi Ohmura
- Devils In The Dark - Guest vocals on "Delusional Dream" (2013)
With Timo Tolkki's Avalon
- The Land of New Hope (2013)
With Magnus Karlsson
- Free Fall (2013) - Guest vocals on Free Fall
With Amadeus Awad's EON
- The Book Of Gates - (2014) - as The Pharaoh
- Noturnall (2014) - Guest vocals on Nocturnal Human Side, producer
With Iced Earth
- Plagues of Babylon (2014) - Guest vocals on Highwayman
- "Mat Sinner facebook page". facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- Lucassen, Arjen. "Artist - Russell Allen". ArjenLucassen.com. Retrieved 2006-06-09.
- "ALLEN/LANDE: In-depth Interview With Russell Allen". Metalassault.com. 2011-01-29. Retrieved 2014-07-28.