No. 89 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
|Date of birth:September 17, 1990|
|Place of birth: Houston, Texas|
|High school: Houston (TX) Cypress Ridge|
|College: Louisiana State|
|Undrafted in 2013|
|Debuted in 2013 for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Russell Shepard is an American football wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He attended Cypress Ridge High School in Harris County, Texas, United States. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles.
As a senior, the 6-1, 179-pound Shepard rushed for 1,946 yards and 28 touchdowns and threw for 1,843 yards and 20 touchdowns. Shepard also led Cy-Ridge to a 17-5A district championship in 2007. Alongside Matt Barkley, Shepard was considered the top quarterback of the high school class of 2009 by both Rivals.com and Scout.com before converting to wide receiver upon arriving at LSU.
High school career
Shepard started his high school career as quarterback.
Although Shepard was heavily recruited by Texas and received interests from Florida, Michigan, and USC, he announced his decision to accept a scholarship from Louisiana State University on March 3, 2008. He committed to LSU since he believed he will get the best chance at playing quarterback there. Texas told Shepard that if he didn't win the starting job at quarterback, then he could play other positions. USC likewise found him to be a Reggie Bush-type player in their offense.
He graduated in December 2008 to start his college career a semester early. Shepard stated that he intended to learn the team's football system during LSU's spring practices that year.
Awards and honors
- Selected to the 2008 All-Greater Houston Team by the Touchdown Club of Houston.
- Won the 2008 Offensive Player of the Year award given by the Touchdown Club of Houston.
- First-team selection on Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Super Team
- 2009 PARADE All-American
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
After one day being released from the Philadelphia Eagles, Sheppard was claimed off waivers by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on September 1, 2013.
- "LSU lands top prospect, recruiter -- all in one". CNN. January 1, 2009. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- "Russell Shepard".
- "Russell Shepard - Scout.com".
- "Dual-threat QBs Pryor, Shepard have similar skills".
- "Shepard out to prove he belongs at quarterback".
- "2009's TERRELLE PRYOR?: Dual-threat QB Russell Shepard has U-M at the top of his list".
- Williams, Brandon C. (2008-03-04). "Cy Ridge's Shepard says he's going to LSU". Houston Chronicle.
- "Shepard stays grounded through recruiting process".
- "LSU already giddy about Shepard era".
- "2009 Under Armour All-America Game Player Profiles".
- http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/espnu150?&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu150%3f%26season%3d2009 Retrieved 2009-03-18
- "Matthews honored by TD Club tonight".
- "Shepard, Stewart win TD Club honors".
- "Getting to know the Elite 11, the state of Texas’ top recruits".
- "Meet PARADE's All-America High School Football Team".
- http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/9/1/4683216/buccaneers-claim-chris-jones-russell-shepard-practice-squad-danny-noble. Missing or empty