Russell Springs, Kentucky
|Russell Springs, Kentucky|
Location of Russell Springs, Kentucky
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Land||4.6 sq mi (11.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,086 ft (331 m)|
|• Density||520.4/sq mi (200.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||270 & 364|
|GNIS feature ID||0502532|
Russell Springs is a home rule-class city in Russell County, Kentucky, in the United States. The city is the gateway to Lake Cumberland, one of the largest man-made lakes in the region, created by Wolf Creek Dam. It is the largest city in the county, having a population of 2,399 during the year 2000 U.S. Census.
The present city grew out of a resort centered on a local chalybeate spring. Rennick relates that Samuel Patterson was generally credited with settling the site and that the community was known as Big Boiling Springs by 1850. The post office was established in 1855 as "Russell Springs" after the county, but was discontinued 1865 and reopened as Kimble (after local businessman George Kimble) in 1888. The community restored the name Russell Springs in 1901 and incorporated in 1936.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,399 people, 1,157 households, and 673 families residing in the city. The population density was 520.4 people per square mile (200.9/km²). There were 1,280 housing units at an average density of 277.7 per square mile (107.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.79% White, 0.17% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.08% from other races, and 0.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.63% of the population.
There were 1,157 households out of which 22.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.9% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.8% were non-families. 38.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.06 and the average family size was 2.71.
The age distribution was 20.0% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 23.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 77.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $18,600, and the median income for a family was $26,464. Males had a median income of $23,480 versus $14,508 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,660. About 21.8% of families and 27.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.7% of those under age 18 and 24.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Tara Conner, Miss Kentucky USA 2006, Miss USA 2006
- Vernie McGaha, Former Kentucky State Senate
- Gradith Stephens, local Author and Storyteller
- Commonwealth of Kentucky. Office of the Secretary of State: Land Office. "Russell Springs". Accessed 8 Jul 2013.
- "Summary and Reference Guide to House Bill 331 City Classification Reform" (PDF). Kentucky League of Cities. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- Rennick, Robert. Kentucky Place Names, p. 259. University Press of Kentucky (Lexington), 1987. Accessed 4 October 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.