Russian destroyer Vice-Admiral Kulakov
Vitse Admiral Kulakov on 24 August 2012 entering Portsmouth Naval Base, UK, for a 5-day visit.
|Class and type:||Udaloy-class destroyer|
|Status:||In service as of 2014.|
|Displacement:||6,200 t (6,102 long tons) standard
7,900 t (7,775 long tons) full load
|Length:||534 ft 9 in (162.99 m)|
|Beam:||63 ft 4 in (19.30 m)|
|Draught:||20 ft 4 in (6.20 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 shaft COGAG, 4 gas turbines, 120,000 hp|
|Speed:||35 knots (40 mph; 65 km/h)|
|Range:||10,500 nautical miles (19,400 km) at 14 knots (16 mph; 26 km/h)|
|Aircraft carried:||2 x Ka-27 'Helix'series helicopters|
|Aviation facilities:||Helicopter deck and hangar|
The Vice-Admiral Kulakov was commissioned in 1982 and was on combat duty with the Northern Fleet until March 1991, when she was retired for repairs that lasted more than 18 years. The ship returned to the Severomorsk base on December 7, 2010 and is to return to active duty.  On 5 January 2011, a fire broke out in one of the ship's mess-rooms. It was reported to be caused by a short circuit. The damage was minimal and did not reduce the combat effectiveness of the ship.
In 2012 the destroyer was escorting commercial convoys as a part of the anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden. In July 2012, Vice-Admiral Kulakov was leading a flotilla of the Northern Fleet to the Eastern Mediterranean to conduct naval drills, close to the Syrian coast. In August 2012 she paid a 5-day visit to Portsmouth Naval Base, England. In September 2012 the Vice-Admiral Kulakov also visited Cobh, Ireland.
Kulakov was part of the 70th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of the Atlantic in Liverpool, England in May 2013. She was open to the public for two afternoons and her crew became a notable point of interest for visitors to the city.
- ""Admiral Kulakov" returns to Severomorsk (in Russian)". Northern Fleet website. December 19, 2010.
- 11.01.2011 (2009-12-04). "Fire at Vice Admiral Kulakov did no harm to the ship's battle-worthiness". Rusnavy.com. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- 05.09.2011. "Defense ministry to buy over 100 Ka-52 helicopters". Rusnavy.com. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- 26.06.2012 (2012-06-26). "Russian Destroyer Escorts Fifth Convoy Thru Gulf of Aden". Rusnavy.com. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- "Russian warships arrive in the Eastern Mediterranean - News - Society - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, Video". :. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2013-09-03.
- 05.09.2011. "Vice Admiral Kulakov Leaves Liverpool". wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "RAF fighter jets scrambled to investigate Russian planes". BBC. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
|This article about a specific military ship or boat of the Soviet Union or Russia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|