Rutgers University Police Department
|Rutgers University Police Department|
|Common name||University Police, Rutgers Police|
|Patch of the RUPD|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of New Jersey, USA|
|Specialist jurisdiction||Buildings and lands occupied or explicitly controlled by the educational institution and the institution's personnel, and public entering the buildings and immediate precincts of the institution.|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction. See the reference below for the source of the above data.|
The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is a campus police agency responsible for law enforcement on the New Brunswick, Newark, and Camden campuses of Rutgers University. RUPD is a department of the university's Division of Administration and Public Safety which also houses Rutgers Emergency Services which is responsible for Emergency Medical Services and emergency management on the campus as well as responding to fire and hazardous materials emergencies in coordination with local first responders. The Division of Administration and Public Safety also oversees the campus bus system, the Rutgers Golf Course, and other services on campus.
RUPD is a fully empowered law enforcement entity under state law and shares jurisdiction with local police departments and the New Jersey State Police. RUPD works closely with these agencies as well as neighboring police departments and the adjacent campus police departments of UMDNJ in Newark and New Brunswick, NJIT and Essex County College in Newark, and Rowan University and Camden County College in Camden.
RUPD staff includes fully trained, commissioned, and armed Police Officers as well as Security Officers, 911 Dispatchers, and student Community Service Officers. Rutgers Emergency Services staff includes trained firefighters, incident managers, emergency medical technicians, hazardous materials technicians, and instructors who are on duty 24 hours a day seven days a week.
- Administrative Services Building
- RUPD Newark Headquarters (Parking Deck 1)
- One Washington Park Police Substation (Rutgers Business School)
- Public Safety Building
- Cook Campus Police Substation
- On April 13, 2013 RUPD officers responded alongside officers from the New Brunswick PD and UMDNJ Police to quell the riot that had grown out of the annual Delafest celebration, resulting in four arrests for aggravated assault on police, unlawful possession of a weapon, and underage consumption of alcohol. 
- On April 3, 2013, Rutgers Emergency Services, the Newark Police Department, and Newark Fire Department responded to a dumpster fire at One Washington Park that extended to offices in the business school and caused the cancellation of classes. 
- Rutgers Police and the FBI arrested sophomore Elan Haba on February 8, 2012 for possession of explosive materials in his dorm on the Newark campus.