|Political party||Socialist Party|
Ruth Coppinger is an Irish Socialist Party politician for Dublin West, who was elected as a Teachta Dála (TD) at the 2014 Dublin West by-election. That by-election was caused by the resignation of independent TD Patrick Nulty.
Coppinger was a member of Fingal County Council for the Mulhuddart area from 2003 to 2014. She was co-opted to the council in 2003, replacing Joe Higgins. She was elected in 2004 and re-elected in 2009. She was an unsuccessful candidate at the 2011 Dublin West by-election.
She later joined party colleague Joe Higgins in the Dáil as a result of the 2014 by-election in the same constituency. On being elected, she called for a mass campaign of opposition to water charges being imposed by the Fine Gael-Labour Party coalition.
- "Coppinger wins Dublin West by-election". RTÉ News. 24 May 2014. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- "About Ruth". Official website.
- Murphy, Cormac (27 May 2014). "Fingal County council: Final counts filled overnight". Irish Independent. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
Eugene Coppinger, brother of new Dublin West TD Ruth Coppinger, had a successful campaign. Mr Coppinger, a Socialist Part[y] and Anti-Austerity Alliance candidate, said the whole family is proud of his little sister Ruth's achievement.
- "Ruth Coppinger". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
- O'Connor, Niall (25 May 2014). "Ruth Coppinger's victory doubles Socialist Party's voice in Dail". Irish Independent. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- McCarthaigh, Sean (24 May 2014). "Coppinger: Win is a result for ordinary working people". BreakingNews.ie. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
|Socialist Party Teachta Dála for Dublin West
|This article about a politician from Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|