Rutherford (NJT station)
|Address||Park Avenue, Orient Way, Union Avenue, and Erie Avenue
Rutherford, New Jersey
|Connections||NJT Bus: 76 and 190|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; Bicycle Racks|
|Station code||2105 (Erie Railroad)|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Passengers (2012)||1,158 (average weekday)|
Rutherford, New Jersey, USA
|Area||0.5 acres (0.2 ha)|
|Architect||Charles W. Buchholz|
|Architectural style||Renaissance, Queen Anne|
|MPS||Operating Passenger Railroad Stations TR|
|NRHP Reference #||84002584|
|Added to NRHP||June 22, 1984|
|Designated NJRHP||March 17, 1984|
Rutherford is a New Jersey Transit railroad station served by the Bergen County Line. The station straddles the border between Rutherford, New Jersey and East Rutherford, New Jersey. The station building and Hoboken-bound platform is located near a traffic circle at the junction of Park Avenue, Union Avenue, Erie Avenue and Orient Way known as Station Square, with a grade crossing on Park Avenue. The tracks serve as the border between the two municipalities and the Suffern-bound platform is actually located in East Rutherford along with its parking lot. The original station was built in 1862 by the New York and Erie Railroad and was replaced by the current station which was built in 1898 by its successor, the Erie Railroad. The station was placed on the List of Registered Historic Places in New Jersey and the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984.
|■Bergen County Line||toward Suffern (Garfield)|
|■Bergen County Line||toward Hoboken (Secaucus Junction)|
A two phase restoration project was started by New Jersey Transit in May 2008. The first phase to restore the outside of the building cost 1.4 million dollars and was completed in June 2009. The second phase of the project was to restore the interior and cost $1.9 million. The second phase was completed on October 25, 2010.
- "List of Station Names and Numbers". Jersey City, New Jersey: Erie Railroad. May 1, 1916. Retrieved November 23, 2010.
- "Main and Bergen County Line Timetables". Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS". New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places - Bergen County". NJ DEP - Historic Preservation Office. April 1, 2010. p. 19. Retrieved September 23, 2010.
- The Record May 15, 2008.
- "Train station work all done". Leader Newspapers. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- NJT rail station information page for Rutherford
- DepartureVision real time train information for Rutherford
- Main Line/Bergen County Line/Port Jervis Line schedule
- Station from Park Avenue from Google Maps Street View
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Photos of Rutherford Station