Rutherford College, North Carolina
|Rutherford College, North pingas|
|— Town —|
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,204 ft (367 m)|
|• Density||568.0/sq mi (219.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1024878|
Rutherford College is a town in Burke County, North Carolina, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the town population was 1,293. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The town was named for the college that was once located there, Rutherford College, which had been there since the 1800s. The campus was later purchased by Valdese General Hospital.
Rutherford College is located at  The town is approximately 80 minutes from Asheville, 80 minutes from Charlotte, and 150 minutes from the North Carolina state capital of Raleigh. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.3 square miles (5.9 km²), all of it land.(35.745825, -81.528737).
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,293 people, 541 households, and 381 families residing in the town. The population density was 568.0 people per square mile (219.0/km²). There were 570 housing units at an average density of 250.4 per square mile (96.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.74% White, 0.39% African American, 0.31% Native American, 4.25% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.62% of the population.
There were 541 households out of which 29.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.4% were non-families. 26.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 28.2% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 84.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,579, and the median income for a family was $42,206.
Notable people 
- Arthur Talmage Abernethy (1872–1956), journalist, minister, scholar; first North Carolina Poet Laureate
- Charles Laban Abernethy (1872–1955), lawyer, congressman from North Carolina
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "History of the town of Rutherford College, North Carolina", official website for the town of Rutherford College, North Carolina
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Powell, William Stevens (1979). "Abernethy, Arthur Talmage". Dictionary of North Carolina Biography. Vol. 1, A-C. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press. p. 4. ISBN 9780807813294.
- "ABERNETHY, Charles Laban, (1872 - 1955)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. US Congress. Retrieved November 9, 2012.