Rutland Township, Meigs County, Ohio
|Rutland Township, Ohio|
|• Total||44.0 sq mi (113.9 km2)|
|• Land||44.0 sq mi (113.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||873 ft (266 m)|
|• Density||53.4/sq mi (20.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086615|
Rutland Township is one of the twelve townships of Meigs County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,347 people in the township, 1,946 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Scipio Township - north
- Bedford Township - northeast corner
- Salisbury Township - east
- Cheshire Township, Gallia County - south
- Morgan Township, Gallia County - southwest
- Salem Township - west
- Columbia Township - northwest corner
Two populated places are located in Rutland Township: the village of Rutland, the smallest village in Meigs County, in the center; and the unincorporated community of Langsville, in the center, a short distance west of Rutland.
Name and history
It is the only Rutland Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Meigs County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.