RwandAir Flight 205
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for events. (August 2013)|
A CRJ-100 similar to the accident aircraft
|Date||12 November 2009|
|Summary||Spittal Disorentation Crew Error Stalled Crashed To Ground After Fire|
|Site||Kigali International Airport, Kigali, Rwanda|
|Injuries (non-fatal)||10 (on aircraft and in VIP terminal)|
|Aircraft type||Canadair CRJ-100|
|Flight origin||Kigali International Airport, Kigali, Rwanda|
|Destination||Entebbe International Airport, Entebbe, Uganda|
The flight took off from Kigali International Airport where shortly after the pilots informed air traffic control that the throttles had become jammed. The pilots returned to the airport and landed shortly after 11:30 but failed to come to a halt; the aircraft then crashed into the VIP terminal. A fire followed the accident but was put out. The co-pilot was eventually freed from the wreckage three hours after the crash. Of the 10 passengers and 5 crew, all survived the initial crash with injuries to 10 people on the aircraft and in the VIP terminal. One female passenger died shortly after arriving at a hospital.
A RwandAir spokesperson said, "He landed safely on the runway and was guided by the marshals into the parking area. For some unexplained reason, the plane, from the parking spot, took off again at full power and ... took a right turn, unexplained, into the technical building." The METAR in force at the time of the accident was HRYR 121030Z VRB03KT 9999 BKN030 24/18 Q1018 NOSIG=.
The aircraft involved was a Canadair CRJ-100, registration 5Y-JLD, which first flew in 1997.
- RwandAir flight crashes into VIP terminal killing 1 and injuring 10
- Co-pilot stuck in wreckage for 3 hours
- "Accident: Jetlink Air CRJ1 at Kigali on Nov 12th 2009, throttle jam, impacted terminal after return". The Aviation Herald. 12 November 2009. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- RwandAir spokesperson
- Translation of METAR: METAR for Kigali Airport, issued on the 12th of the month at 10:30 UTC. Wind variable at 3 knots, unlimited visibility, broken clouds at 3000 feet, temperature 24°C, dewpoint 18°C, QNH 1018 hPa, no significant changes expected, end of METAR report.
- RwandAir Flight 205 at Aviation-Safety