Rwanda Stock Exchange
|Founded||31 January 2011|
|Products||Stock trading services|
The Rwanda Stock Exchange (RSE), is Rwanda's principal stock exchange. It was founded in January 2011. The RSE is operated under the jurisdiction of Rwanda's Capital Market Authority (CMA), previously known as Capital Markets Advisory Council (CMAC), which in turn reports to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN).
The exchange's doors opened for trading on 31 January 2011. That day coincided with the first day of trading in the stock of Rwanda's only brewery, Bralirwa, which trades under the symbol:BLR. The Rwanda Stock Exchange replaced the Rwanda Over The Counter Exchange that had been in operation since January 2008, with two companies listed, namely Kenya Commercial Bank Group (KCB) listed on 18 June 2009 and National Media Group (NMG) listed on 2 November 2010.
Having successfully launched Bralirwa as its pioneer Initial Public Offering (IPO), RSE's second IPO was Bank of Kigali, launched on 31 June 2011. In February 2011, the National Bank of Rwanda, the country's Central Bank, contracted Central Depository and Settlement Corporation (CDSC), a Kenyan company, to serve the Rwanda Stock Exchange for one year and to train Rwandan staff until Rwanda can start and operate its own securities registry. On 7 December 2012, RSE launched the Rwanda Stock Exchange Share Index (RSESI), an independently calculated, rules-based, market capitalization weighted performance benchmark for Rwanda Stock Exchange's equities.
As of April 2014[update], the RSE trades five listed local and East African companies and also carries out trading of three government and one corporate fixed income instruments. The exchange, which is open five days a week, is a member of the African Stock Exchanges Association. The RSE operates in close association with the Nairobi Stock Exchange in Kenya, the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange in Tanzania and the Uganda Securities Exchange in Uganda. There are plans are to integrate the four stock exchanges to form a single East African bourse.
As of April 2014[update]
|2.||KCB||Kenya Commercial Bank Group||Banking, Finance|
|3.||NMG||Nation Media Group||Publishing, Printing, Broadcasting, Television|
|4.||BOK||Bank of Kigali||Banking, Finance|
- Kenya Commercial Bank Group and Nation Media Group are primarily listed Nairobi Stock Exchange. They are crosslisted on the Rwanda Stock Exchange, the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange and on the Uganda Securities Exchange.
- Uchumi Supermarkets is primarily listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange and is crosslisted on the Rwanda Stock Exchange and starting in 2014, on the Uganda Securities Exchange and the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange.
- Economy of Rwanda
- List of stock exchanges
- List of African stock exchanges
- Nairobi Stock Exchange
- Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange
- Uganda Securities Exchange
- Doya, David Malingha (24 January 2011). "Rwanda Stock Exchange, Capital Markets Authority to Open January 31, 2011". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Listed Securities On Rwanda Stock Exchange". Rwanda Stock Exchange. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Gachiri, John (7 February 2011). "Interest In Rwanda Bourse Rises As Second IPO Planned". Business Daily Africa. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Mugwe, David (11 February 2011). "Kenya’s Shares Custodian Wins Rwanda Contract". Business Daily Africa. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Rwanda Stock Exchange Launchers Its First Index". Rwanda Capital Markets Authority. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Equity And Bond Listings On Rwanda Stock Exchange". Rwanda Stock Exchange. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Murdoch, Heather (8 August 2011). "Bank of Kigali IPO Attracts Bids for Three Times Number of Shares Offered". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- By, Xinhua (6 October 2013). "Uchumi To Cross-List Shares In Rwanda". Daily Nation. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Special, Correspondent (4 September 2012). "Rwanda Stock Exchange Braces for Automation". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- "Nation Builder:Cross Listing Comes Full Circle" (11). Nation Media Group. March 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- Gachiri, John (15 October 2013). "Uchumi Third Kenyan Firm to Cross-List on Rwanda Exchange". Business Daily Africa. Retrieved 13 April 2014.