Ryan (given name)
|See also||Ó Riain, Rían|
|Look up Ryan in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Ryan is a given name in English. It originates from the surname Ryan, which is an Anglicised form of the Irish Ó Riain. While mostly used for boys, Ryan has been used for girls in the United States since the 1970s.
Some sources suggest Rían/Ryan means "little king", although its actual etymology is unknown.
- United Kingdom
In Scotland of the 1990s, "Ryan" was the most popular forename of the decade; this popularity is recent, as "Ryan" apparently was not in use in 1900, ranked between 100 and 250 in 1950, and appears at rank 64 in 1975. In Northern Ireland, "Ryan" appeared among the top-five most commonly selected male names for newborns in 2000–2003, but did not appear among the top-ten in 1975. In England and Wales, data for 2003–2007 is available, which suggest somewhat less popularity of "Ryan" than in other parts of the UK, having a rank of 21 in 2003 and 2004 then dropping to 25 in 2005–2007.
- United States
"Ryan" as a male given name has persisted in popularity for the thirty-year period of 1976–2006 in the 10th to 20th rank; the name appeared in the top-thousand for the first time in 1946 and gained steadily in popularity until leveling off in the 1970s. The popularity of "Ryan" as a female given name is an order of magnitude less than that as a male name; the name first appeared in the top-thousand in 1974 and has remained there since, fluctuating widely from year to year but never breaching the rank of 300.
List of persons with the given name Ryan
- Ryan Adams
- Ryan Babel, Dutch footballer
- Ryan Braun, American All Star major league baseball player
- Ryan Brooks, American basketballer
- Ryan Cabrera, American pop rock singer and musician.
- Ryan Dalziel
- Ryan Donaldson, English footballer
- Ryan Dunn, Actor in TV Show Jackass and Stuntman
- Ryan Eigenmann
- Ryan Esson, Scottish goalkeeper
- Ryan Getzlaf, Canadian ice hockey player
- Ryan Giggs, Manchester United footballer and former Wales international
- Ryan Gosling, Canadian Actor
- Ryan Hall (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Harris (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Howard, American All Star major league baseball player
- Ryan Johnson (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Jimmo, Canadian mixed martial arts fighter
- Ryan Kalish, American major league baseball player
- Ryan Kesler, American ice hockey player
- Ryan Lavarnway, American baseball player
- Ryan Leaf, American football player
- Ryan Lee (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Lochte, American swimmer
- Ryan Malone, American ice hockey player
- Ryan Martinez, American mixed martial artist
- Ryan Morgan, Australian Rugby League player
- Ryan Nelsen, New Zealand footballer
- Ryan Newman, American NASCAR driver
- Ryan Newman, American actress
- Ryan Ochoa, American actor
- Ryan O'Neal, American television and film actor
- Ryan Phillippe, American actor
- Ryan Pickett (filmmaker), American film director
- Ryan Powell (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Reynolds, Canadian actor
- Ryan Roberts, American major league baseball player
- Ryan Ross, American musician
- Ryan Seacrest, American talk-show host
- Ryan Sheckler, American professional skateboarder
- Ryan Simpkins (rugby league), Australian Rugby League player
- Ryan Sitton, Texas politician
- Ryan Smyth, Former Canadian NHL ice hockey player
- Ryan Star, American singer-songwriter
- Ryan Stiles, American comedian
- Ryan Taylor (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Tedder
- Ryan ten Doeschate, Dutch cricketer
- Ryan Thomas, English actor
- Ryan Walter
- Ryan Wheeler, American baseball player
- Ryan White, AIDS activist
- Ryan Williams (disambiguation), multiple people
- Ryan Atwood, a troubled teenager on the FOX television series The O.C.
- Ryan Frankel, a student at Silver Hills High School in the All About Us novel series; see All About Us (TV series)
- Ryan Howard (The Office), the temp from NBC's The Office
- Ryan Laserbeam, from Nickelodeon's True Jackson VP
- Ryan Lavery, a father on the American daytime drama All My Children'
- Ryan O'Reily, inmate on fictional HBO prison drama Oz
- Ryan Hardy, former FBI agent on Fox's The Following
- Ryan Steele, from VR Troopers
- Dr. Ryan Stone, main female character in the film Gravity
- Ryan Wolfe, a fictional character from CSI: Miami
- Ryan, adolescent lion cub in Disney's The Wild
- Typhoon Ryan (1992), a category 4 typhoon from August 30 to September 11
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 355, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- "Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Ryan". Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "Top 25 Baby Names". Births, Deaths and Marriages. Central Statistics Office (Ireland). 2008-01-28. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- "Popular Forenames in Scotland 1900-2000". Occasional papers. General Register Office for Scotland. 2001-01-04. Retrieved 2008-02-16. "Ryan was the most popular name for boys for five years, 1994 - 1998. (see also Table 5)"
- "Jack and Emma were the most popular first names in Northern Ireland in 2003" (PDF) (Press release). Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. 2004-01-02. Retrieved 2008-02-14. "(Consult tables "Comparison with 1975" and "Top 20 Names 2000-2003", the latter showing ranks of 5, 3, 4, 3 for 2003, 2002, 2001 and 2000, respectively)"
- "Top 100 names for baby boys in England and Wales". National Statistics Online. Office for National Statistics. 2007-12-19. Retrieved 2008-02-16.
- "Popular baby names". Social Security Administration. 2007-05-11. Retrieved 2008-02-16. "(Query in "Popularity of a name" section: Ryan - male - 100 years)"
- "Popular baby names". Social Security Administration. 2007-05-11. Retrieved 2008-02-16. "(Query in "Popularity of a name" section: Ryan - female - 100 years)"
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|