August 27, 1982 |
Edmonds, Washington, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Randy Couture, father|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Couture grew up in Woodinville, Washington and attended Woodinville High School. During his senior year, Couture placed third in the Washington State 4A wrestling championship. Couture attended Western Washington University from 2000 until 2004 and graduated with a degree in mathematics. Before he began pursuing an MMA career, Couture worked at a bank.
Mixed martial arts career
Couture began fighting in 2009 and compiled a 5-1-1 record as an amateur.
He made his professional debut at Strikeforce Challengers: Riggs vs. Taylor on August 13, 2010. He debuted in the Strikeforce promotion's lightweight division, defeating Lucas Stark via triangle choke in the first round.
Couture fought at Strikeforce Challengers: Beerbohm vs. Healy against Lee Higgins and won the bout via rear-naked choke in the 3rd round. The victory over Higgins upped Couture's professional record to 2-0, with both fights coming under the Strikeforce banner.
In his next fight, Couture faced Matt Ricehouse at Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry. He lost via unanimous decision.
Couture rebounded from the first loss of his career when he defeated Maka Watson via majority decision at Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough.
Having spent his entire professional career in the Strikeforce promotion, Couture was featured on their final show as he faced K.J. Noons at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine on January 12, 2013. Despite being outstruck by Noons in each round, Couture was awarded a split decision victory.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Following a signing of Randy Couture to Bellator as an on-screen, non-fighting personality, UFC President Dana White was questioned about what type of relationship Ryan now had with the UFC, as Dana was quite upset at a perceived betrayal by Randy Couture. White made it clear that Ryan is welcome in the UFC and he will not be punished for his father's relationship with Dana White. However, White did state that Randy will not be allowed to corner his son at UFC events.
Couture was expected to face Quinn Mulhern in a lightweight bout on August 31, 2013 at UFC 164. However, Mulhern pulled out of the bout in mid-July citing an injury and was replaced by Al Iaquinta. He lost the bout via unanimous decision. After back to back losses he was released from the UFC.
Couture is set to return to the cage on the smaller circuit, booked to fight Kyle Sjafiroeddin on 18 January, 2014 at Battlegrounds MMA 3.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|10 matches||7 wins||3 losses|
|Win||7–3||Kyle Sjafiroeddin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Battlegrounds MMA 3||January 18, 2014||1||2:14||Norman, Oklahoma, United States|
|Loss||6–3||Al Iaquinta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||6–2||Ross Pearson||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||2||3:45||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||6–1||K.J. Noons||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine||January 12, 2013||3||5:00||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||5–1||Joe Duarte||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy||July 14, 2012||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||4–1||Conor Heun||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey||March 3, 2012||3||2:52||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||3–1||Maka Watson||Decision (majority)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Matt Ricehouse||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Lee Higgins||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Healy vs. Beerbohm||February 18, 2011||3||4:41||Cedar Park, Texas, United States|
|Win||1–0||Lucas Stark||Submission (triangle choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Riggs vs. Taylor||August 13, 2010||1||1:15||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
- Morgan, John. "Lightweight Ryan Couture earns second amateur win in TUFF-N-UFF main event". Retrieved 2009-02-16.
- "After grueling amateur fight, Strikeforce's Ryan Couture knew it was time to go pro". MMAJUNKIE.com. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Strikeforce Signs Ryan Couture". SHERDOG.com. 2010-07-29. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "Ryan Couture Out of Strikeforce Challengers XII". mmafighting.com. 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "Strikeforce Challengers 14 Results: Pat Healy Hands Lyle Beerbohm First Loss, Ryan Couture Wins". MMAWeekly.com. 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "STRIKEFORCE® MARQUARDT VS. SAFFIEDINE". strikeforce.com. 2012-11-30.
- "Strikeforce - Couture vs. Noons, Results and Stats". fightmetric.com. 2013-01-12. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "UFC 156 Dana White Post-Fight Media Scrum". mmaheat.com. 2013-02-13.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 9 adds Couture-Pearson". mmajunkie.comdate=February 9, 2013.
- "Quinn Mulhern drops to lightweight, faces Ryan Couture at UFC 164". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-16). "Quinn Mulhern out, Al Iaquinta meets Ryan Couture at UFC 164 in Milwaukee". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Steven Marrocco (September 25, 2013). "Following back-to-back losses, UFC releases Ryan Couture". mmajunkie.com.
- "Former UFC, Strikeforce fighter Ryan Couture set to return to MMA on Jan 18". mmajunkie.com. 2014-01-04.