Ryan Griffin (quarterback)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
|No. 4 New Orleans Saints|
|Date of birth:||November 17, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Santa Monica, California|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||206 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Los Angeles (CA) Chaminade|
|Roster status:||Practice Squad|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
After redshirting for the 2008 season, Ryan Griffin played in nine games of the 2009 season. Even though he was only a freshman, he led the team in total offense, passing attempts, completions, passing yards, and touchdown passes, while finishing 2nd in completion percentage and passing efficiency. All of his offensive numbers stand as Tulane records for a freshman quarterback.
Griffin started all 11 games he played in as a sophomore in the 2010 season, and ranked 6th in Conference USA in passing yards per game, 8th in total offensive yards per game, and 10th in passing efficiency. He gained more than 300 yards in 3 games, including a season-best 412 yards against Tulsa.
In the 2011 season, he started all 13 games and once again led the team in total offense, pass attempts, completions, passing yards, touchdown passes, and passing efficiency.
As a senior in the 2012 season, he started all nine games he played in and was given an honorable-mention spot on the All-Conference USA team. He finished the season ranked 2nd in C-USA in passing yards per game and yards of total offense per game, and 5th in passing efficiency. Griffin threw for 300-plus yards 5 times with two 400-plus yard games, and twice set the school single-game passing record. He set the record the first time with 466 yards and a career-best 5 touchdown passes vs UAB and surpassed that with 476 yards and 4 TDs vs Rice. Griffin holds the Tulane career records in pass attempts, completions, and completion percentage. He is 2nd in passing yards, passing yards per game, pass attempts per game, completions per game, and 300-yard passing games. Griffin finished his college career with 9026 yards, 56 touchdowns, and 35 interceptions.
New Orleans Saints
Griffin signed with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent following the 2013 NFL Draft. On August 31, 2013, Griffin was released. On September 1, 2013, Griffin was re-signed to the Saints' Practice Squad. He was placed on the active roster on October 22, 2013, only after the Saint Louis Rams offered Griffin an opportunity to sign with them. To facilitate Griffin's signing to the active roster, linebacker Martez Wilson was waived.
On September 2, 2014, it was announced that the Saints had waived Griffin and re-signed kicker Shayne Graham to the 53-man roster. After clearing waivers on September 3, 2014, Griffin was re-signed to the Saints practice squad. To make room for Griffin, linebacker Todd Davis was released from the practice squad.
- "Ryan Griffin Bio - Tulane Green Wave Official Athletic Site". Tulanegreenwave.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Ryan Griffin Stats - ESPN". Espn.go.com. 1989-11-17. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Saints sign QB Ryan Griffin www.ESPN.com, Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- NFL Roster Cuts 2013: Saints Waive Ryan Griffin www.canalstreetchronicles.com, Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Saints sign Ryan Griffin among six to practice squad www.SportsNOLA.com, Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- New Orleans Saints add former Tulane quarterback Ryan Griffin to active roster, source says profootballtalk.nbcsports.com, Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Saints waive Martez Wilson profootballtalk.nbcsports.com, Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- New Orleans Saints sign Shayne Grahamm, waive quarterback Ryan Griffin www.nola.com, Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- Griffin back on Saints' practice squad www.ESPN.com, Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Todd Davis Released from Saints Practice Squad and QB Ryan Griffin Signed www.canalstreetchronicles.com, Retrieved September 3, 2014.