Pressly with the Minnesota Twins
Minnesota Twins – No. 57
December 15, 1988 |
|April 4, 2013 for the Minnesota Twins|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.60|
Thomas Ryan Pressly (born December 15, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball. Originally selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 2007 MLB Draft, the Twins selected Pressly from the Red Sox in the 2012 Rule 5 draft. Pressly made his MLB debut on April 4, 2013.
Pressly attended Carrollton American Heritage Academy for his first three years of high school. He starred as a pitcher and shortstop for the school's baseball team, leading the conference in 23 different offensive categories. As the school considered ending its baseball program, Pressly transferred to Edward S. Marcus High School in Flower Mound, Texas, for his senior year. In addition to baseball, Pressly played American football as a defensive back. During a football game, he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee when he was tackled following an interception. His knee required surgery, jeopardizing his baseball career.
Without a college scholarship, Pressly intended to enroll at Texas Tech University and attempt to walk-on to the Texas Tech Red Raiders baseball team. The Boston Red Sox drafted Pressly in the 11th round, with the 354th overall selection, of the 2007 MLB Draft. Pressly signed rather than attend college.
Pressly worked as a starting pitcher for the Red Sox in minor league baseball, but was converted into a relief pitcher in 2012. As a relief pitcher for the Portland Sea Dogs of the Class AA Eastern League, he pitched to a 2.93 earned run average with 21 strikeouts in 27 2⁄3 innings pitched. After the 2012 season, the Minnesota Twins selected Pressly from the Red Sox in the Rule 5 draft. Pressly made the Twins' Opening Day roster. He made his major league debut on April 4, pitching a scoreless inning, in which he struck out Torii Hunter. Pressly appeared in 49 games, going 3-3.
- Miller, Phil (2013-03-16). "Pressly's football injury paved way to possible baseball career with Twins". StarTribune.com. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- "Star Local News > Flower Mound Leader > Sports > Pressly selected by Boston in 11th round". Scntx.com. 2007-06-12. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Goessling, Ben (2012-12-07). "Minnesota Twins pick up hard-throwing Ryan Pressly in Rule 5 draft". TwinCities.com. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Spring training: No major surprises in another smooth camp for Twins » Naples Daily News". Naplesnews.com. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Corcoran, Cliff (2013-03-28). "Opening Day Rosters: Who’s In, Who’s Out? | Hit and Run - SI.com". Mlb.si.com. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Berardino, Mike (April 5, 2013). "Minnesota Twins: Ryan Pressly's debut a success". Pioneer Press. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)