May 2, 1987 |
Red Deer, AB, CAN
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||174 lb (79 kg; 12 st 6 lb)|
Columbus Blue Jackets
|NHL Draft||211th overall, 2005
New York Rangers
Ryan Russell (born May 2, 1987) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is currently playing for Leksands IF of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL). Russell has a twin brother, Kris who plays for the Calgary Flames.
Russell was drafted by the New York Rangers in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (7th round, 211th overall). He was drafted from the Kootenay Ice in the WHL where he played from 2003 till 2007. After the 2006–07 season with the Ice, Russell was unable to come to terms with the Rangers and was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for a seventh round pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft on May 31, 2007. He was swiftly signed to a three-year entry level contract by the Canadiens.
In his first professional season in 2007–08, Russell split the year between both affiliates of the Canadiens the Cincinnati Cyclones in the ECHL and the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL. While with the Cyclones, he scored a series-winning shorthanded goal in overtime of Game Five to send the Cyclones into the Kelly Cup Finals. They went on to win the Kelly Cup in six games. On July 20, 2010, Russell was re-signed by the Canadiens as a restricted free agent to a one-year contract.
On January 7, 2012, Russell made his NHL debut with the Blue Jackets in a 1-0 win over the Los Angeles Kings. On January 13, 2012, Russell scored his first NHL goal against Jason LaBarbera of the Phoenix Coyotes.
As a free agent, on July 29, 2013, Russell signed his first European contract, agreeing to a one-year deal with Leksands IF of the Swedish Hockey League.
|2011–12||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||41||2||0||2||2||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Canadiens acquire forward Ryan Russell, sign free agent Janne Lahti". Montreal Canadiens. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "One-year contract for Ryan Russell". Montreal Canadiens. 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- The ECHL - Premier 'AA' Hockey League - Russell becomes 481st ECHL player to reach NHL
- "Blue Jackets hold off Coyotes 4-3". National Hockey League. 2012-01-13. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- "Ryan Russell ready for LIF" (in Swedish). Leksands IF. 2013-07-29. Retrieved 2013-07-29.