Ryan Sallans, 2011
|Born||Kimberly Ann Sallans
Aurora, Nebraska, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Nebraska-Lincoln|
|Occupation||Public speaker, activist, author|
|Known for||LGBT activism, public speaking, author|
|Home town||Aurora, Nebraska|
Ryan Kim-Scout Sallans (born Kimberly Ann Sallans; 1979) is an American LGBT rights advocate and out trans man. Sallans began his transition in 2005. He travels the United States speaking to professionals, college audiences, and youth about being transgender and the changing nature of health care.
Sallans has been featured in Closer Magazine, the Salina Journal, The Reader, and NewsNetNebraska. He shares his story about his struggle with an eating disorder and how he came to terms with his gender identity.
In 2005, Sallans began undergoing a physical and social gender transition. He had a bilateral mastectomy with nipple grafts performed the beginning of May 2005 before beginning hormone therapy in June. During this time he was featured in the LOGO documentary, Gender Rebel, which captured him at the beginning of his transition. In July 2005, a Nebraska Court granted his request for a name change and he legally completed his transition in October 2005, when he had his gender officially changed on all of his legal documents including his birth certificate. Ryan also underwent bottom surgery in the form of a hysterectomy in 2006 and a metoidioplasty in 2008.
Since 1999, Sallans has worked as a trainer and speaker on issues surrounding eating disorders, body image and wellness. He first began including transgender issues in his presentations in 2007, shortly before completing his gender transition. Since then he traveled the nation sharing his transition story with universities and communities, as well as helping professionals establish better comprehensive care and understandings surrounding LGBTQA issues. He offers a wide range of issue-based presentations that can be broken down into "University" and "Professional" presentations.
University Training Topics
- Eating Disorders & Dieting
- Body Image
- Gender Roles
- Transgender History
- Female-to-Male Transgender Issues
- Sexual Orientation and Social Justice
- LGBT Youth
Professional Training Topics
- Gender Identity/Expression
- Workplace Transitions
- Hormone Therapy
- Social/Legal Implications Affecting the Transgender Community
- LGB Health Care
- Working with Eating Disorders and Body Image Issues
In addition to his community presentations, Sallans also works as a consultant for various businesses, organizations, and schools helping to improve the workplace environment for transgender employees, students, clients, or customers. Some areas he has worked on with organizations before include:
- Workplace Transitions
- University Support – Administration Documents and Forms, Dorms/Restrooms, ID Cards, Rosters, Sensitivity Trainings
- Administrative/HR Support
- Facility Improvements
- Guide and Manual Development
- Transgender Health Care Services
In April 2012, Sallans' memoir, Second Son: Transitioning Toward My Destiny, Love and Life was released. The memoir explores Sallans' struggles as a child in Nebraska, his fall and recovery in college as an anorexic closeted transgender male, and his transition in the Midwest. It gives readers insight into the struggles and triumphs Sallans has encountered throughout his experience as an out Midwestern trans man.
- Sallans, Ryan. "The Story Of My Coming Out and The Beginning of My Transition"
- Raymond, Victoria. "I Beat Anorexia by Becoming a Man". CloserOnline. June 23, 2006.
- Strand, Michael. "Nebraskan Likes Being A Man" Salina Journal, November 24, 2009.
- Stohs-Krause, Hilary. "Facility serves and educates about minority group". The Reader. October 27, 2010.
- Angelina, Ruth. "Transgender activist seeks acceptance for his community". NewsNetNebraska. April 4, 2011.
- Larry King (host) (08-10-2007). "Sex Change Surgery". Larry King Live. CNN.
- Larry King (host) (07-24-2009). "Born Into the Wrong Body". Larry King Live. CNN.
- "Gender Rebel". 2006. LOGO. http://www.logotv.com/video/gender-rebel/1585354/playlist.jhtml.
- Wunder, Michael Speaker gives personal face to transgendered lives Gateway
- Sallans, Ryan "Training Topics" Dec 08, 2010
- Sallans, Ryan. "Consulting" Feb 13, 2011
- Kailey, Matt ‘Second Son’: An Interview with Ryan Sallans Tranifesto