||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Full name||Ryan Allen Sheckler|
December 30, 1989 |
La Palma, California, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
|Weight||150 pounds (68 kg)|
- 1 Early life
- 2 Professional skateboarding
- 3 The Sheckler Foundation
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Videography
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Sheckler was born in San Clemente, California, United States (US), and was raised in a family of three children—his two younger brothers are named Shane and Kane. Sheckler was introduced to skateboarding when he discovered his father's skateboard at eighteen months of age. Sheckler's father provided encouragement by revealing that he had learned his first kickflip when he was approximately six years of age. Sheckler's parents are divorced. In a 2012 interview for the internet-based channel Network A, Sheckler revealed that the San Clemente skate park is the location where he began skateboarding and that he was present at the opening of the park.
|This section requires expansion. (December 2012)|
In 2004 professional skateboarders and entrepreneurs Rodney Mullen and Daewon Song founded the skateboard company Almost—Sheckler, together with Greg Lutzka, was a foundational member of this team and was promoted to professional status during his time with the company. Almost team member Chris Haslam explained in January 2012: "Almost is when Rodney [Mullen] came together with Daewon [Song] ... and Lutzka, and Sheckler."
After appearing in Almost: Round Three, Sheckler resigned from the company to join the relaunched Plan B skateboard deck and apparel company in 2007—at that time, the team consisted of Brian Wenning, Pat Duffy, Ryan Gallant, PJ Ladd, Paul Rodriguez, Colin McKay, and Danny Way. Following his recruitment into the ranks of Plan B, Sheckler successfully performed tricks on Way's "Mega Ramp" construction (a segmented ramp that typically consists of 50, 60, or 70-foot gaps, and a 27-foot-tall "quarterpipe" ramp), with sections of the corresponding footage included in Sheckler's Superfuture part. In January 2013, Way provided his perspective on Sheckler in an interview for the online magazine Jenkem:
They [Plan B team] are doing the best tricks consistently with every variation of it down the biggest stuff. And it doesn’t take them long, so they have a lot of it. For example when we went to China recently, Sheckler alone has more footage from his one trip than all of the Girl team from their China trips combined. I’m not trying to diss on Girl, just trying to put it in perspective, what I think his strengths are.
Sheckler has appeared in numerous promotional and tour videos for Plan B, including the final section of the Superfuture extended promotional video, and appears in the second teaser for the inaugural full-length video of the relaunched team—Sheckler is filmed performing a kickflip in a street-based setting, while teammates Torey Pudwill and Duffy are also present. In an online interview that was published in September 2012, Sheckler revealed that, at the time of the interview, he was in the process of building a new skateboard training facility.
A promotional video was released in late May 2013 commemorating Sheckler's fifteenth year with the etnies brand. Sheckler explains in the video that he received his first pair of free skate shoes from the company and has skated in etnies shoes ever since.
Sheckler is a playable character in Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Tony Hawk's Project 8, Tony Hawk's Proving Ground, Tony Hawk: Ride, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD .
Sheckler first participated as a competitor in a skateboarding contest in 2002.
- Gravity Games: 1st (Street)
- Slam City Jam – Vancouver, Canada: 1st (Street)
- X Games: 1st (Park)
- United States Skateboarding Championships: 3rd (Street)
- Vans Triple Crown: 1st – overall (Street)
- World Cup of Skateboarding (WCS): 1st – overall (Street)
- Gravity Games, third place (Street)
- United States Skateboarding Championships, first place (Street)
- Vans Triple Crown, Vancouver event; third place (Street)
- Vans Triple Crown, Cleveland event; third place (Street)
- World Cup of Skateboarding, overall second place (Street)
- AST Dew Tour – Louisville, US: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Denver, US: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Portland, US: 2nd (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – San Jose, US: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Orlando, US: 3rd (Park)
- AST Dew Tour: 1st – overall (Park)
- Globe World Cup, Melbourne event; second place (Street)
- World Championship of Skateboarding, third place (Street)
- Tampa Pro: 5th (Street)
- AST Dew Tour – Louisville, US: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Denver, US: 4th (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Portland: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – San Jose, US: 1st (Park)
- AST Dew Tour – Orlando, US: 2nd (Park)
- AST Dew Tour: 1st – overall (Park)
- X Games – Los Angeles, US: 2nd (Park)
- Globe World Cup – Melbourne, Australia: 1st (Street)
- Tampa Pro: 6th (Street)
- X Games: 1st (Street)
- X Games: 3rd (Street)
- Simple Session: 1st (Street)
- X Games: 2nd (Street)
- Street League Skateboarding 3rd Series, 3rd Stop (Glendale, AZ): 3rd
- Dew Tour: 1st (Street)
- the discipline of skateboarding appears in parentheses
The Sheckler Foundation
In 2008, the Sheckler Foundation was created to assist children, and injured and recovering athletes—the Foundation presents its overall goal as the empowerment of "our community to “Be the Change”!". Two of the Foundation's major annual charity events are "Skate For A Cause" (the fourth event occurred in May 2013) and the "Ryan Sheckler X Games Celebrity Golf Tournament" (the fifth event occurred in 2012).
A November 12, 2013 press release introduced the foundation's inaugural "SkateBOARD" members. Consisting of professional skateboarders Greg Lutzka, Christian Hosoi, Fabrizio Santos, Filipe Gustavo, and Manny Santiago, the group will "help support and promote the Sheckler Foundation’s projects", as the organization seeks to increase its exposure.
In May 2009 Sheckler launched the "RS" clothing line but, as of November 2013, the brand is not featured on Sheckler's personal website and an official website does not exist.
In his 2012 Network A interview, Sheckler explained that he enjoys surfing, relaxing, and spending time with his family when he is not skateboarding, adding that his priorities in life are: "Stay healthy, as much as I can; be a good brother; be a good son, to my parents; make sure I can do anything to keep my family safe; finish this Plan B part and just keep skating—keep filming video parts; be me, I guess—just be myself and not worry about what people think." However, Sheckler concluded by stating that his main priority is ensuring the health and safety of his family. Sheckler's younger brother, Shane, also skateboards, but has stated that he does not want to be like him, a professional skateboarder; instead he wants to do his own thing. When asked in 2012 about the balance between his personal and public life, Sheckler explained that he just accepts "wherever" his life is at any given time.
|2001||MVP 2: Most Vertical Primate||Neil Nellis|
|2003||Grind||Rod St. James|
|2003||What's New, Scooby-Doo?||Himself||"The San Franpsycho" (season 2: episode 7)|
|2004||Almost: Round Three||Himself||Documentary|
|2007–2009||Life of Ryan||Himself||Reality TV series|
|2008||True Jackson, VP||Himself||"Ryan on Wheels" (season 1: episode 4)|
|2009||Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory||Himself||"Dusty Monkey" (season 1: episode 12)|
|2009||Street Dreams||Eric Jones|
|2010||Tooth Fairy||Mick Donnelly|
- Digital: Everyday (2003)
- Tony Hawk's Secret Skatepark Tour (2004)
- Thrasher: King Of The Road 2004 (2004)
- Almost: Almost: Round Three (2004)
- Volcom: Chichagof (2004)
- FuelTV: Firsthand: Ryan Sheckler (2005)
- Globe: World Cup Skateboarding 2005 (2005)
- Tony Hawk's Secret Skatepark Tour 2 (2006)
- Etnies: Restless (2006)
- Oakley: Our Life (2006)
- Globe: The Global Assault (2006)
- Plan B: Plan B In Dominican Republic (2008)
- Plan B: Superfuture (2008)
- Etnies: Sangria Nights (2009)
- Plan B: Plan B In Moscow, Russia (2009)
- Strange Notes: Wish You Were Here (2009)
- Thrasher: King Of The Road 2010 (2010)
- Red Bull: Perspective (2013)
- "Ryan Sheckler Biography". Kidzworld. Kidzworld. 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "MTV's "Life of Ryan"". "Show Summary". Retrieved September 3, 2007.
- Glock, Allison. "Just another lonely millionaire skateboarder". ESPN. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- redbullusa (13). "Ryan Sheckler Bio, Part 1 of 3". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Network A; AndrewSchrock (18). "Ryan Sheckler Interview - Top Fives!" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- theweekendbuzz (13). "Chris Haslam & John Rattray Are Laser Tag Losers & Voltron: Weekend Buzz ep. 1". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- hdskatevideo (30). "Almost Round 3 - Ryan Sheckler" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Crossfire (3). "Scheckler Joins Plan B.". Caught in the Crossfire. Division Media. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Woodward West MegaRamp Grand Opening". Danny Way. Danny Way. 19. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- msxskate (5). "Plan B Superfuture Promo In HD (Full Video) 14:46 Minutes Long" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Ian Michna; Mike Blabac (January 2013). "THE DANNY WAY INTERVIEW". Jenkem. Jenkem. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- PlanBTVChannel (14). "RYAN SHECKLER - TEASER #2 - PLAN B FULL LENGTH VIDEO COMING" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- CCSskatemedia (19). "The Hot Seat | Ryan Sheckler" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Panasonic Ryan Sheckler Limited Edition Old School Monitor Stereo Headphones". Panasonic. Panasonic Corporation of North America. 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Ryan Sheckler". Red Bull. Red Bull. 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- etnies (November 2012). "Introducing the etnies Marana with Ryan Sheckler" (Video upload). etnies Vimeo page. Vimeo, LLC. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- David Fischer (15). "PLAN B x Nixon Soundclash Project". Highsnob. Titel Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Big Dog (6). "GoPro: New York City... A Day in the Life - Ryan Sheckler". Extreme.com. Extreme.com. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Team". Grizzly Griptape. Grizzly Griptape. 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- EthikaTV (12). "Ethika Familie Member Ryan Sheckler" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- CCSskatemedia (21). "The Board Room". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Crossfire (17). "Sheckler Joins Independent". Caught in the Crossfire. Division Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Team". Andale Bearings. Andale Bearings. 2012. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "ETNIES AND RYAN SHECKLER 15 YEARS STRONG". The Berrics. The Berrics. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Cheats for Playstation 2 (Activision)". GameCheats.com. UGO Entertainment, Inc. 2008. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- NextGenWalkthroughs (4). "Tony Hawk Project 8 - Skate Park - Ryan Sheckler". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- "Ryan Sheckler". ESPN. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Sheckler Foundation". shecklerfoundation.org. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Enter To Win | Ryan Sheckler's 4th Annual Skate For A Cause". CCS Blog. CCS. 1. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- AlliSports (1). "Day With Ryan Sheckler's 5th Annual Celebrity Golf Tournament 2012 Alli Sports" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- Brandon Beach (12 November 2013). "Christian Hosoi, Fabrizio Santos, Felipe Gustavo, Greg Lutzka and Manny Santiago Support The Sheckler Foundation" (Press release). TransWorld Business. GrindMedia. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- Naomi Nevitt (1). "Video: Ryan Sheckler On His New Clothing Line". Teen Vogue. Condé Nast Digital. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Red Bull Perspective" (Video upload). Red Bull USA. Red Bull. 13. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "Ryan Sheckler skate videos". Skatevideosite.com. Skatevideosite.com. 2005–2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ryan Sheckler.|