Ryan Smith (footballer)
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (December 2012)|
|Full name||Ryan Craig Matthew Smith|
|Date of birth||10 November 1986|
|Place of birth||Islington, England|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|2005–2006||→ Leicester City (loan)||17||(1)|
|2010–2011||Sporting Kansas City||32||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of March 29, 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Ryan Craig Matthew Smith (born 10 November 1986) is an English footballer.
An England youth international, Smith started his career at Arsenal. He made his Arsenal debut against Rotherham United on 28 October 2003 at the age of 16. He also managed to start against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Middlesbrough. All of the matches in which he played for Arsenal were in the League Cup, including a game on 9 November 2004 against Everton which saw him go off injured after 20 minutes.
On 4 August 2006, Smith agreed personal terms on a 3-year contract with Championship outfit Derby County. He made his debut in a 2–2 draw against Southampton on 6 August. After struggling to adapt and break into a Derby side pushing for promotion, plus the arrival of several midfielders in the January transfer window, Smith was sold.
Smith moved on loan to League One side Millwall on 21 March 2007 on an initial one-month loan deal, but this was extended on 17 April 2007 to run until the end of the 2006–07 season. Smith impressed during his time on loan at Millwall and manager Willie Donachie expressed an interest in retaining the youngster's services. In July 2007 Milwall paid £150,000 for Smith, who signed a two-year contract with the club.
On 3 October 2008, he joined Southampton initially on a three-month loan. The transfer became permanent on 1 January 2009, when Smith signed a 6-month contract. He was released by Southampton on 2 May 2009.
On 26 August 2009, he signed a contract with Crystal Palace. He made his Crystal Palace first team debut on 27 August in the 2–0 League Cup defeat to Manchester City coming on as a substitute in the second half. He left on 25 January 2010 after coming to the end of his short term contract.
Kansas City Wizards/Sporting KC
On 27 January, Smith joined Grimsby Town on trial, playing for The Mariners in a behind the closed doors friendly against Hull City at Blundell Park. On 2 February 2010, it was reported that Smith would join Kansas City Wizards on trial during their preseason training camp in Arizona, and on 2 March he signed a two-year deal with the club. Smith scored on his Kansas City debut in a 4–0 win over D.C. United.
- (correct as of 30 March 2010)
|Sporting Kansas City||2010||25||3||6||0||0||0||na||na||na||-||-||-||1||1||6|
Smith's father is American, from Alaska and his Mother is of English heritage, with his Grandparents hailing from Montego Bay. He first attended St. Aloysius College secondary school, which was attended by West Ham United midfielder Joe Cole, before moving on to Highams Park School, where he was a class mate of Jamie O'Hara.
- "Smith ends Foxes stint". football.co.uk. 10 March 2006. Archived from the original on 24 October 2007. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "RYAN'S MAN FOR LIONS". Daily Mirror. 2 April 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Millwall tie up Rams winger Smith". BBC. 5 July 2007. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Saints sign Smith". Southampton FC. 3 October 2008. Archived from the original on 6 December 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Smith deal sealed". Southampton FC. 31 December 2008. Archived from the original on 1 January 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Breaking news: Smith completes Eagles switch". croydonadvertiser.co.uk. 26 August 2009. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Smith Departs Palace". Crystal Palace FC. 25 January 2010. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- The Back Post: Ryan Smith joins Wizards in Arizona
- Smith agrees MLS deal
- Includes FA Cup, League Cup and FA Community Shield