Sweeney with the Oakland Athletics
February 20, 1985 |
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
|September 1, 2006 for the Chicago White Sox|
|Runs batted in||224|
Ryan Joseph Sweeney (born February 20, 1985) is an American Major League Baseball outfielder who is currently a free agent. He played most recently for the Chicago Cubs, and previously played for the Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics and Boston Red Sox.
Sweeney was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and originally attended Jefferson High School, but conflict between winter showcase games and regular high school basketball schedule obligations led him to transfer to and graduate from cross-town Xavier High School in Cedar Rapids in 2003.
Sweeney played in the White Sox minor league organization from 2003 to 2006, including: Bristol (Appalachian League) and Great Falls (Pioneer League) in 2003; Winston-Salem (Carolina League) in 2004; Birmingham (Southern League) in 2005; and Charlotte (International League) in 2006.
Chicago White Sox
In 2006 he was called up to the White Sox, and played in 21 games for the major league team. At the beginning of the 2007 season, Ryan was ranked by Baseball America as prospect No. 1 in the White Sox organization. That year he played in 15 games for the White Sox and 105 for the Charlotte Knights.
On January 3, 2008, the White Sox traded him, along with fellow prospects pitchers Fautino de los Santos and Gio Gonzalez, to Oakland for outfielder Nick Swisher. He played in 8 games for the AAA Pacific Coast League Sacramento River Cats before being called up to the major league team, where he played in 116 games. Sweeney remained with the A's through 2011.
Boston Red Sox
Sweeney played in 63 games for the Red Sox during the 2012 season. On November 30, 2012 he was among those not offered a contract for 2013 by the Red Sox, and became a free agent.
On January 26, 2013 the Red Sox signed Sweeney to a minor league contract which would pay him $1.25 million plus incentives if he made the major league team. Sweeney was signed to provide additional outfield depth when the team learned that Ryan Kalish required surgery and would miss at least part of the 2013 season.
At the end of spring training in March, 2013, Sweeney was not added to Boston's major league roster. Rather than accept assignment to the minor leagues, he opted out of his contract and became a free agent.
On May 6, 2013 the Cubs announced that Sweeney would be joining the major league team, with Dave Sappelt moving to the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate to make room on the Cubs roster for Sweeney. On May 8, 2013, Sweeney recorded his first hit as a Chicago Cub. Sweeney's first home run as a Cub came on May 19, 2013 at Wrigley Field. On June 15, Sweeney took over as the starting center fielder when David DeJesus sprained his shoulder running into a wall. On June 29, Sweeney fractured his rib while running into a wall making a catch against the Mariners. Brian Bogusevic then became the starting center fielder. On September 1, he returned to the Cubs, receiving the bulk of the starts in center field to end the year.
In 2013, Sweeney played 70 games with the Cubs and hit .266/.324/.448 with 6 HR and 19 RBI. On October 8, Sweeney signed a two-year, $3.5 million deal with a $2.5 million option for 2016. He will earn $1.5 million annually, and the option has a $500,000 buyout. In 77 games in 2014, Sweeney hit .251 with 3 home runs and 20 RBI's. He went on the disabled list on August 27 with a left hamstring strain.
Sweeney was designated for assignment by the Cubs on April 5, 2015, and released on April 7.
- Cedar Rapids-Iowa City Gazette, Sweeney Transfers to Xavier, January 16, 2001
- Cedar Rapids-Iowa City Gazette, Sweeney Rocked by Old Mates, June 12, 2001
- Our Sports Central, Ryan Sweeney Plans on Attending Hot Stove Banquet, January 28, 2008
- Baseball America, Statistics page, Ryan Sweeney, accessed January 27, 2013
- Kruth, Cash (28 December 2011). "Red Sox acquire closer Bailey from A's". MLB.com. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Ian Browne, MLB.com, Red Sox non-tender Sweeney, Atchison, Hill, December 1, 2012
- Alex Speier, What Ryan Sweeney's Contract Will Look Like if he Makes Red Sox, January 26, 2013
- Gordon Edes, ESPN Boston, Kalish surgery planned; Sox sign Sweeney, January 25, 2013
- Alex Speier, WEEI.com, Red Sox Release Ryan Sweeney, Mitch Maier Accepts Minor League Assignment, March 30, 2013
- Drew Silva, NBC Sports, Cubs Sign Ryan Sweeney to Minor League Contract, April 2, 2013
- Aaron Gleeman, NBC Sports, Cubs calling up Ryan Sweeney from Triple-A, May 6, 2013
- Ehalt, Matt (June 15, 2013). "David DeJesus sprains shoulder". ESPNChicago.com.
- O'Sullivan, Paul (June 30, 2013). "Cubs' Sweeney to DL with fractured rib". Chicago Tribune.
- Gonzalez, Mark (October 8, 2013). "Cubs sign Sweeney to 2-year, $3.5 million contract". Chicago Tribune.
- "Player Updates:Ryan Sweeney". MLB.com. MLB. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Gleeman, Aaron (April 7, 2015). "Cubs Release Outfielder Ryan Sweeney, Eat $1.5 Million". NBC Sports.