|Grade 1 race|
|Distance||2m 5f (4,225 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
|Weight||11 st 9 lb (5yo);
11 st 10 lb (6yo+)
7 lb for mares
|Dynaste||Hidden Cyclone||Rajdhani Express|
The Ryanair Chase is a Grade 1 National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run on the New Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 2 miles and 5 furlongs (4,225 metres), and during its running there are seventeen fences to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
It was one of several new races introduced at the Festival when a fourth day was added to the meeting in 2005. Prior to this there had been a similar event at the Festival called the Cathcart Challenge Cup, but this was restricted to first and second-season chasers only.
The registered (non-sponsored) title of the race is the Festival Trophy, and it was initially classed at Grade 2 level. The inaugural running was sponsored by the Daily Telegraph, and since then it has been backed by Ryanair. The event has held Grade 1 status since 2008.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Albertas Run - 2010, 2011
Leading jockey (2 wins):
Leading trainer (2 wins):
- Paul Nicholls – Thisthatandtother (2005), Taranis (2007)
- Jonjo O'Neill - Albertas Run (2010, 2011)
- Nicky Henderson – Fondmort (2006), Riverside Theatre (2012)
- David Pipe - Our Vic (2008), Dynaste (2014)
|2005||Thisthatandtother||9||Ruby Walsh||Paul Nicholls|
|2006||Fondmort||10||Mick Fitzgerald||Nicky Henderson|
|2007||Taranis||6||Ruby Walsh||Paul Nicholls|
|2008||Our Vic||10||Timmy Murphy||David Pipe|
|2009||Imperial Commander||8||Paddy Brennan||Nigel Twiston-Davies|
|2010||Albertas Run||9||Tony McCoy||Jonjo O'Neill|
|2011||Albertas Run||10||Tony McCoy||Jonjo O'Neill|
|2012||Riverside Theatre||8||Barry Geraghty||Nicky Henderson|
|2013||Cue Card||7||Joe Tizzard||Colin Tizzard|
|2014||Dynaste||8||Tom Scudamore||David Pipe|
- Horseracing in Great Britain
- List of British National Hunt races
- Recurring sporting events established in 2005 – the Ryanair Chase is included under its registered title, Festival Trophy.
- cheltenham.co.uk – Media information pack (2010).
- pedigreequery.com – Festival Trophy Chase – Cheltenham.