|Area||496 km2 (192 sq mi)|
|Municipality||since January 2007|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Sønderborg Municipality (German: Sonderburg), is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Region of Southern Denmark partially on the Jutland peninsula and partially on the island of Als in south Denmark, at the border with Germany. The municipality covers an area of 496.57 km2 (191.73 sq mi), and has a total population of 76,236 (as of 2008[update]). Its mayor is Aase Nyegaard, a member of the local political party Fælleslisten (literally "The Common List").
2007 administrative reform
On January 1, 2007, due to Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007), the former Sønderborg municipality was combined with Augustenborg, Broager, Gråsten, Nordborg, Sydals, and Sundeved municipalities to form a new Sønderborg municipality. The former Sønderborg municipality covered an area of 54 km2 (21 sq mi), and had a total population of 30,555 (2005). Its last mayor was Arne Peder Hansen, a member of the Venstre (Liberal Party) political party.
The city of Sønderborg
The site of its municipal council is the town of Sønderborg, which covers most of the area of the municipality.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Sønderborg is twinned with:
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal mergers and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sønderborg Kommune.|
- The municipality's official website (Danish)
- Joint webportal for public offices, business and non-profit organisations (English)
- Tourist attractions in Sønderborg (English)
- Video showing the town of Sønderborg
- Student association in Sønderborg