|Søndre Land kommune|
Søndre Land within Oppland
|• Mayor (2003)||Reidar Eriksen (Søndre Land Bygdeliste)|
|• Total||728 km2 (281 sq mi)|
|• Land||659 km2 (254 sq mi)|
|Area rank||150 in Norway|
|• Rank||165 in Norway|
|• Density||9/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||-3.7 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0536|
|Official language form||Bokmål|
The old municipality of Land was divided into Søndre Land and Nordre Land in 1847. The area of Fluberg was separated from Søndre Land to become a separate municipality on 1 January 1914, but it was merged back into Søndre Land on 1 January 1962.
The Old Norse form of the name was just Land which means "land". Therefore, the meaning of the name Søndre Land is "(the) southern (part of) Land". The parish and municipality of Land was divided in 1847.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 21 June 1985. The arms show three yellow tree trunks on a blue background. The blue colour of the shield symbolises the Randsfjorden, which borders the municipality. The tree trunks symbolise the importance of forestry and the sawmills in the municipality.
Søndre Land is bordered on the north by the municipality of Nordre Land, on the east by Gjøvik and Vestre Toten, on the west by Sør-Aurdal, and on the south by Gran in Oppland county. It is also bordered to the west by Ringerike in Buskerud county.
Søndre Land is 39.2 kilometres (24.4 mi) on a north-south axis and 31.3 kilometres (19.4 mi) east-west. It lies in the south of Oppland and on the northern end of Randsfjord. The highest elevation is Skjellinghovde with a height of 856 metres (2,808 ft). The main population centers include Holmen and Hov.
- Finn Thrana (1958–2006), lawyer
- Ola Skjølaas (1941-2006), politician
- Håvard Narum (born 1944), journalist
- Ola Viker (1897-1942), lawyer
- Martin Smeby (1891-1975), politician
- Jørgen Meinich (1820-1911), industrialist
- Christian Ancher (1711-1765), businessman
- "Personnemningar til stadnamn i Noreg" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- Rygh, Oluf (1900). Norske gaardnavne: Kristians amt (Anden halvdel) (4 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 179. (Norwegian)
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- Media related to Søndre Land at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of Søndre Land at Wiktionary
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway
- Oppland travel guide from Wikivoyage