Location of Säkylä in Finland
|• Municipality manager||Teijo Mäenpää|
|• Total||268.44 km2 (103.65 sq mi)|
|• Land||160.55 km2 (61.99 sq mi)|
|• Water||107.89 km2 (41.66 sq mi)|
|Area rank||282nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||202nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||29.06/km2 (75.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.8%|
|• 15 to 64||64.6%|
|• 65 or older||20.6%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
Säkylä is located in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Satakunta region. The municipality has a population of 4,666 (31 January 2014) and the municipality covers an area of 268.44 square kilometres (103.65 sq mi) of which 107.89 square kilometres (41.66 sq mi) is inland water (2011-01-01). The population density is 29 inhabitants per square kilometre (75 /sq mi) (31 January 2014).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Säkylä is best known as the home of the Finnish Defence Forces' Porin Prikaati (Pori Brigade) and for the large and successful food industry. The biggest employers are the Säkylä garrison (Pori Brigade), Lännen Tehtaat Plc, Broilertalo Oy, the Municipality of Säkylä, the Intermunicipal Federation of Public Health, and Sucros Säkylä.
For its diversity of nature, Säkylä has a special position among Finnish municipalities. Säkylä's Lake Pyhäjärvi (Säkylän Pyhäjärvi), situated mainly in the area of Säkylä, is the biggest lake in southwestern Finland. It is renowned for its clean and clear water and big yields of fish, and the maintenance of its natural state is secured by the common efforts of the inhabitants, the municipality, and local industry. Insects found nowhere else in Finland live on the Säkylänharju Ridge. The fauna and flora of the ridge include several other rare and threatened species.
Lake Pyhäjärvi is a versatile bird lake. During the year, practically all of the water and shore birds of the Finnish inland waters are found there. The nesting species include lake birds drawn to the barren shores and clear waters, as well as some demanding specialities of the best eutrophic bird bays.
Säkylä is the original home of the Antti farmstead, nowadays a museum object in the Seurasaari Open Air Museum in Helsinki.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.