|Rector||Prof. Moira von Wright|
|Students||6,300 (FTE, 2009)|
|Doctoral students||100 (2010)|
Södertörn University (Swedish: Södertörns högskola, abbreviated as SH) is a public university college (högskola) located in Flemingsberg, which is located in Huddinge Municipality, and the larger area called Södertörn, in Stockholm County, Sweden. In 2009, it had 6,300 full-time students. The campus area ("Universitetsområdet") in Flemingsberg hosts the main campus of SH, several departments of the Karolinska Institutet, and the School of Technology and health of the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). The Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge (formerly Huddinge Hospital), is also located there.
When the institution was founded, the prospect was to develop the högskola (university college) into a full university at a later point. Consequently, Södertörn högskola applied for full university status and the right to award doctoral degrees in 2002, and in an updated form again in 2006 together with an independent evaluation in its favour. In 2004, it also applied to form a collegiate university together with Karolinska Institutet and the Royal Institute of Technology. In March 2009, the Government of Sweden, which is responsible for all public educational institutions, issued a statement saying that it would not elevate any more colleges to university status in the future, and that it would decline all further applications, thus cementing the college status for Södertörn högskola.
However, in 2010 Södertörn University was granted degree awarding powers at third cycle level (licentiate and doctoral degree) in four areas of research. A number of subjects collaborate within several of these areas.
The Baltic and East European Graduate School (BEEGS) is part of the Centre for Baltic and East European Studies, CBEES. BEEGS is financed by a grant from the Foundation for Baltic and East European Studies (Östersjöstiftelsen). Up until 2010 the graduate school has been run in co-operation with other Swedish universities, where the doctoral candidates have been formally registered. Since Södertörn University College obtained the right to confer doctorates in some areas in June 2010, future doctoral students will be enrolled at Södertörn University College.
Södertörn University Library
Södertörn University Library is the library of Södertörn University College, and is housed in a new library building which opened in 2004.
- Ebba Witt-Brattström, Professor of Literature
- Sara Danius, Professor of Aesthetics
- Aris Fioretos, Professor of Aesthetics
- Per Wramner, Visiting professor
- Sven-Olov Wallenstein, Assistant Professor in Philosophy
- Swedish Higher Education Authority (Högskoleverket) - statistics for 2008 (Swedish), page 121
- List of higher education institutions, Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, accessed 2010-10-26
- Rapport från externa granskare av Södertörns högskola (Swedish)
- Swedish government says 'no' to more universities (Swedish)
- Huddinge kommun: Södertörns åtta kommuner kräver att Södertörns högskola blir universitet. (Swedish)
- Website of Södertörn University Library
- Official website (Swedish and English)