Sørreisa within Troms
|• Mayor (2011)||Paul Dahlø (Ap)|
|• Total||362.95 km2 (140.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||346.94 km2 (133.95 sq mi)|
|• Water||16.01 km2 (6.18 sq mi)|
|Area rank||253 in Norway|
|• Rank||252 in Norway|
|• Density||9.7/km2 (25/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||2.5 %|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-1925|
|Official language form||Neutral|
Sørreisa (Northern Sami: Ráisavuona suohkan) is a municipality in Troms county, Norway. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Sørreisa. Other villages include Grunnreisa, Skøelva, and Smørsgård.
The municipality of Sørreisen was established on 1 September 1886 when it was separated from the municipality of Tranøy. The initial population of Sørreisen was 1,361. Later the spelling was changed to Sørreisa. On 1 January 1964, the part of Sørreisa across the Reisafjorden on the island of Senja (population: 129) was transferred to the municipality of Lenvik.
The municipality is named after the Reisafjorden (originally Reisa), which again is named after the Reisaelva (the "Reisa river" - originally Reisa). The river name is derived from the verb rísa which means "raise" (referring to flooding). The first element Sør ("south") was added to distinguish the municipality from Nordreisa. The municipality was originally named Sørreisen.
The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 7 September 1984. The arms show three gold stars on a red background. It was derived from the oldest known seal in the municipality, a 17th-century seal of Jacob Hansen Kinapel, who was a police sergeant in Sørreisa from 1715 to 1748.
|Parish (Sokn)||Church Name||Location of the Church||Year Built|
Sørreisa is located on the western coast of Norway, along the Reisafjorden, just east of the large island of Senja. The 363-square-kilometre (140 sq mi) municipality is mostly populated along the shoreline. The municipality of Dyrøy lies to the west, Salangen and Bardu to the south, Målselv to the east, and Lenvik to the north.
|Climate data for Sørreisa|
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−4.5
|Precipitation mm (inches)||97
|Source: Norwegian Meteorological Institute|
- "Personnemningar til stadnamn i Noreg" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Rygh, Oluf (1911). Norske gaardnavne: Troms amt (in Norwegian) (17 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 62.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2008-12-07.
- "eKlima Web Portal". Norwegian Meteorological Institute.
- Media related to Sørreisa at Wikimedia Commons
- The dictionary definition of sørreisa at Wiktionary
- Troms travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipal fact sheet from Statistics Norway